A package to collect measurements published by TESS instruments into a SQlite database
Linux service to collect measurements pubished by TESS Sky Quality Meter via MQTT. TESS stands for Cristobal Garcia’s Telescope Encoder and Sky Sensor
tessdb is a software package that collects measurements from one or several TESS instruments into a SQLite Database.
It is a Python Twisted Application that uses a custom Twisted library implementing the MQTT protocol
Desktop applicatons may query the database to generate reports and graphs using the accumulated, historic data.
These data sources are available:
- individual samples (real time, 5 min. aprox between samples).
The sampling period should be >= 1 min.
Warning: Time is UTC, not local time.
Operation & Maintenance
See the MAINTENANCE.md file
See the DATABASE.md file
Linux installation (Debian)
The following components are needed and should be installed first:
- python 2.7.x (tested on Ubunti python 2.7.6)
Installation via PyPi repository
sudo pip install tessdb
or from GitHub:
git clone https://github.com/astrorafael/tessdb.git cd tessdb sudo python setup.py install
- All executables are copied to /usr/local/bin
- The database is located at /var/dbase/tess.db by default
- The log file is located at /var/log/tessdb.log
Start up Verification
Type sudo tessdb -k to start the service in foreground with console output.
Type sudo service tessdb start to start it as a backgroud service. Type sudo update-rc.d tessdb defaults to start it at boot time.
(Tested on Windows XP SP1 & python 2.7.10) * Have Python 2.7 for Windows installed. * Have PythonWin extensions installed. select the latest build fpr the Pyhton2.7 version * Have the Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler for Python 2.7 installed. Thos is necessary to install twisted later on. Systems requirements state for Windows 7+, but it works fine for Windows XP, 32bits.
The Windows python 2.7 distro comes with the pip utility included.
- Open a CMD.exe console, with Administrator privileges for Windows 7 and higher
- Inside this console type:
pip install twisted
Twisted will install (15.5.0 at this moment)
You can test that this installation went fine by opening a python command line (IDLE or Python CMD) and type:
``` >>> import twisted >>> print twisted.__version__ 15.5.0 >>> _ ```
- Inside this new created folder type:
pip install tessdb
- The executables (.bat files) are located in the same folder C:\tessdb
- The database is located at C:\tessdb\dbase by default. It is strongly recommeded that you leave it there.
- The log file is located at C:\tessdb\log\tessdb.log
Start up and Verification
In the same CMD console, type.\tessdb.batto start it in forground and verify that it works.
Go to the Services Utility and start the TESSDB database service.
There is a small configuration file for this service:
- /etc/tessdb/config (Linux)
- C:\tessdb\config.ini (Windows)
This file is self explanatory. In special, the database file name and location is specified in this file.
Log file is usually placed under /var/log/tessdb.log in Linux or under C:\tessdb\log folder on Windows. Default log level is info. It generates very litte logging at this level. File is rotated by logrotate only under Linux. For Windows, it requires support from an exteral log rotator software such as LogRotateWin