File browser for Tkinter, alternative to tkinter.filedialog in linux with GTK bookmarks support.
tkfilebrowser is an alternative to tkinter.filedialog that allows the user to select files or directories. The GUI is written with tkinter but the look is closer to GTK and the application uses GTK bookmarks (the one displayed in nautilus or thunar for instance). This filebrowser supports new directory creation and filtype filtering.
This module contains a general FileBrowser class which implements the filebrowser and the following functions, similar to the one in filedialog:
- askopenfilename that allow the selection of a single file
- askopenfilenames that allow the selection of multiple files
- askopendirname that allow the selection a single folder
- askopendirnames that allow the selection of multiple folders
- asksaveasfilename that returns a single filename and give a warning if the file already exists
- Python 3 with tkinter + ttk
$ pip3 install tkfilebrowser
Optional keywords arguments common to each function
- parent: parent window
- title: the title of the filebrowser window
- initialdir: directory whose content is initially displayed
- initialfile: initially selected item (just the name, not the full path)
- filetypes list: [(“name”, “*.ext1|*.ext2|..”), …] only the files of given filetype will be displayed, e.g. to allow the user to switch between displaying only PNG or JPG pictures or dispalying all files: filtypes=[(“Pictures”, “*.png|*.PNG|*.jpg|*.JPG’), (“All files”, “*”)]
- okbuttontext: text displayed on the validate button, if None, the default text corresponding to the mode is used (either “Open” or “Save”)
- cancelbuttontext: text displayed on the button that cancels the selection.
- foldercreation: enable the user to create new folders if True (default)
Allow the user to choose a single directory. The absolute path of the chosen directory is returned. If the user cancels, an empty string is returned.
Allow the user to choose multiple directories. A tuple containing the absolute path of the chosen directories is returned. If the user cancels, an empty tuple is returned.
Allow the user to choose a single file. The absolute path of the chosen file is returned. If the user cancels, an empty string is returned.
Allow the user to choose multiple files. A tuple containing the absolute path of the chosen files is returned. If the user cancels, an empty tuple is returned.
Allow the user to choose a file path. The file may not exist but the path to its directory does. If the file already exists, the user is asked to confirm its replacement.
- Additional option:
- defaultext: extension added to filename if none is given (default is none)
- tkfilebrowser 2.0.0
- Change package name to tkfilebrowser to respect PEP 8
- Display error message when an issue occurs during folder creation
- Cycle only through folders with key browsing in “opendir” mode
- Complete only with folder names in “opendir” mode
- Fix bug: grey/white color alternance not always respected
- Add __main__.py with an example
- Add “Recent files” shortcut
- Make the text of the validate and cancel buttons customizable
- Add possibility to disable new folder creation
- Add python 2 support
- Add horizontal scrollbar
- tkFileBrowser 1.1.2
- Add tooltips to display the full path of the shortcut if the mouse stays long enough over it.
- Fix bug: style of browser treeview applied to parent
- tkFileBrowser 1.1.1
- Fix bug: key browsing did not work with capital letters
- Add specific icons for symlinks
- Add handling of symlinks, the real path is returned instead of the link path
- tkFileBrowser 1.1.0
- Fix bug concerning the initialfile argument
- Add column sorting (by name, size, modification date)
- tkFileBrowser 1.0.1
- Set default filebrowser parent to None as for the usual filedialogs and messageboxes.
- tkFileBrowser 1.0.0
- Initial version
import tkinter as tk import tkinter.ttk as ttk from tkfilebrowser import askopendirnames, asksaveasfilename root = tk.Tk() style = ttk.Style(root) style.theme_use("clam") def c_open(): rep = askopendirnames(parent=root) print(rep) def c_save(): rep = asksaveasfilename(parent=root, defaultext=".png", filetypes=[("Pictures", "*.png|*.jpg|*.JPG"), ("All files", "*")]) print(rep) ttk.Button(root, text="Open folders", command=c_open).pack() ttk.Button(root, text="Save file", command=c_save).pack() root.mainloop()
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size tkfilebrowser-2.0.0-py3.6.egg (60.8 kB)||File type Egg||Python version 3.6||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size tkfilebrowser-2.0.0-py3-none-any.whl (34.7 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size tkfilebrowser-2.0.0.tar.gz (39.8 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for tkfilebrowser-2.0.0-py3-none-any.whl