Touca SDK for Python
Touca Python SDK
pip install touca
We support Python v3.6 and newer.
For a more thorough guide of how to use Touca SDK for Python, refer to our documentation website.
Let us imagine that we want to test a software workflow that takes the username of a student and provides basic information about them.
def test_find_student(): alice = find_student("alice") assert alice.fullname == "Alice Anderson" assert alice.dob == date(2006, 3, 1) assert alice.gpa == 3.9
We can use unit testing in which we hard-code expected values for each input. But real-world software is complex:
- We need a large number of test inputs to gain confidence that our software works as expected.
- Describing the expected behavior of our software for each test input is difficult.
- When we make intentional changes to the behavior of our software, updating our expected values is cumbersome.
Touca is effective in testing software workflows that need to handle a large variety of inputs or whose expected behavior is difficult to hard-code.
import touca from students import find_student @touca.workflow(testcases=["alice", "bob", "charlie"]) def students_test(username: str): student = find_student(username) touca.check("fullname", student.fullname) touca.check("dob", student.dob) touca.check("gpa", student.gpa)
This is slightly different from a typical unit test:
- Touca tests do not use expected values.
- Touca tests do not hard-code input values.
With Touca, we describe how we run our code under test for any given test case. We can capture values of interesting variables and runtime of important functions to describe the behavior and performance of our workflow for that test case.
Now if we make changes to our workflow under test, we can rerun this test and let Touca automatically compare our captured data points against those of a previous baseline version and report any difference in behavior or performance.
- Documentation Website: If you are new to Touca, this is the best place to start.
- Python SDK API Reference: Auto-generated source code documentation for Touca Python SDK with explanation about individual API functions.
- Python Examples: Sample Python projects that show how to use Touca in various real-world use-cases.
We hang on Discord. Come say hi! We love making new friends. If you need help, have any questions, or like to contribute or provide feedback, that's the best place to be.
We welcome all forms of contributions, from adding new features to improving documentation and sharing feedback.
Should I install Touca as a development dependency?
Yes, unless you like to capture data-points that are not accessible through your software's public API. Touca data capturing functions (e.g.
touca.scoped_timer) are no-op in production environments. They only work when called from a
How is Touca making money?
Touca is open-source software that you can self-host for free. Touca, Inc. operates Touca Cloud: a managed cloud instance of Touca with additional enterprise-ready features. We have a free plan and leverage usage-based pricing to charge for storage and service. Visit our pricing page to learn more.
This repository is released under the Apache-2.0 License. See
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.