Cisco Umbrella Enforcement API wrapper and command-line utility
umbr_api is Cisco Umbrella Enforcement API wrapper and command-line utility. With help of umbr_api you can add new sites and URL to the customer’s blocked site list, remove or show current entries from cli in seconds.
Cisco Umbrella uses the internet’s infrastructure to block malicious destinations before a connection is ever established. By delivering security from the cloud, not only do you save money, but we also provide more effective security.
Created mostly for educational purposes.
To install from a local folder execute at the ‘umbr_api’ root directory:
pip3 install -e .
To install from production https://pypi.org execute:
pip3 install umbr_api
To install from GitHub:
pip3 install git+https://github.com/kolatz/umbr_api.git
To install from local archive:
pip3 install filename.tar.gz
Please note, that you still need registered and active API key from Cisco to enable functionality.
Use of command-line utility
main() in umbrella.py registered as umbrella executable. So, you can run it directly.
umbrella add www.example.com http://www.example.com/images umbrella add example.com example.com --force umbrella del www.example.com umbrella del 555XXXXX --key YOUR-CUSTOMER-KEY-IS-HERE-0123456789 umbrella get 100 umbrella get --key YOUR-CUSTOMER-KEY-IS-HERE-0123456789
Use API wrapper
You need to import particular functions or modules from umbr_api. For example:
from umbr_api import get get.get_list(key='YOUR-CUSTOMER-KEY-IS-HERE-0123456789') from umbr_api.add import add add(domain='example.com', url='example.com', key='YOUR-CUSTOMER-KEY-IS-HERE-0123456789')
- There three main functions:
The API key should be specified via CLI, if not functions try to read it from customer_key.json within package data\ folder.
How to obtain API key
You can sign up for 14 day free trial here: https://signup.umbrella.com/
How to use API key
- Provide as an argument for command-line utility
umbrella del www.example.com --key YOUR-CUSTOMER-KEY-IS-HERE-0123456789
- Provide it as part of a program call
from umbr_api.get import get_list response = get_list(key='YOUR-CUSTOMER-KEY-IS-HERE-0123456789')
3. Create data/customer_key.json file within umbr_api package directory. This is an unsecured and unsupported way because of keeping key in clear text format. To find package directory:
import os import umbr_api print(os.path.abspath(umbr_api.__file__))
4. API key can be read from a keyring for command-line execution. To save API key you can use:
umbrella keyring --add YOUR-CUSTOMER-KEY-IS-HERE-0123456789 umbrella keyring --show
- Only MacOS platform is tested for keyrings
- By default all python apps can read the value of the key from a keyring
- umbrella will try to use --key firstly, then keychain, and finally data/customer_key.json file within umbr_api package directory.
- Lack of documentation
- You heed to have an Umbrella subscription or active evaluation
- Storing API key within json file is not secure, better to provide it to the script directly
- Asserts will be removed with compiling to optimized byte code. This caused various protections to be removed.
Documentation pages based on README.rst file and docstrings. Created for educational purposes.
A symbolic link README.rst –> docs/README.rst was used to create ToC in Sphinx, which doesn’t support relative paths for ToC.
Who do I talk to
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size umbr_api-0.4.1.tar.gz (13.7 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|