Virtual Python Environment builder
virtualenv is a tool to create isolated Python environments.
The basic problem being addressed is one of dependencies and versions, and indirectly permissions. Imagine you have an application that needs version 1 of LibFoo, but another application requires version 2. How can you use both these applications? If you install everything into /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (or whatever your platform’s standard location is), it’s easy to end up in a situation where you unintentionally upgrade an application that shouldn’t be upgraded.
Or more generally, what if you want to install an application and leave it be? If an application works, any change in its libraries or the versions of those libraries can break the application.
Also, what if you can’t install packages into the global site-packages directory? For instance, on a shared host.
In all these cases, virtualenv can help you. It creates an environment that has its own installation directories, that doesn’t share libraries with other virtualenv environments (and optionally doesn’t access the globally installed libraries either).
- Upgrade from pip 8.0.0 to 8.0.2.
- Fix the default of --(no-)download to default to downloading.
- BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE Drop support for Python 3.2.
- Upgrade setuptools to 19.4
- Upgrade wheel to 0.26.0
- Upgrade pip to 8.0.0
- Upgrade argparse to 1.4.0
- Added support for python-config script (PR #798)
- Updated activate.fish (PR #589) (PR #799)
- Account for a site.pyo correctly in some python implementations (PR #759)
- Properly restore an empty PS1 (#407)
- Properly remove pydoc when deactivating
- Remove workaround for very old Mageia / Mandriva linuxes (PR #472)
- Added a space after virtualenv name in the prompt: (env) $PS1
- Make sure not to run a –user install when creating the virtualenv (PR #803)
- Remove virtualenv file’s path from directory when executing with a new python. Fixes issue #779, #763 (PR #805)
- Remove use of () in .bat files so Program Files (x86) works #35
- Download new releases of the preinstalled software from PyPI when there are new releases available. This behavior can be disabled using --no-download.
- Make --no-setuptools, --no-pip, and --no-wheel independent of each other.
Release history Release notifications
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|virtualenv-14.0.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (1.8 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py2.py3||Jan 22, 2016|
|virtualenv-14.0.1.tar.gz (1.8 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||Jan 22, 2016|