Virtual Python Environment builder
virtualenv is a tool to create isolated Python environments.
The basic problem being addressed is one of dependencies and versions, and indirectly permissions. Imagine you have an application that needs version 1 of LibFoo, but another application requires version 2. How can you use both these applications? If you install everything into /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (or whatever your platform’s standard location is), it’s easy to end up in a situation where you unintentionally upgrade an application that shouldn’t be upgraded.
Or more generally, what if you want to install an application and leave it be? If an application works, any change in its libraries or the versions of those libraries can break the application.
Also, what if you can’t install packages into the global site-packages directory? For instance, on a shared host.
In all these cases, virtualenv can help you. It creates an environment that has its own installation directories, that doesn’t share libraries with other virtualenv environments (and optionally doesn’t access the globally installed libraries either).
- Fixed documentation to use pypi.org and correct curl options; #1042
- bug fix: ensure prefix is absolute when creating a new virtual environment #1208
- upgrade setuptools from 39.1.0 to 40.5.0
- upgrade wheel from 0.31.1 to 0.32.2
- upgrade pip from 10.0.1 to 18.1
- activate.csh does not use basename and handles newlines #1200
- fix failure to copy on platforms that use lib64 #1189
- enable tab-completion in the interactive interpreter by default, thanks to a new sys.__interactivehook__ on Python 3 #967
- suppress warning of usage of the deprecated imp module #1238
- Drop support for Python 2.6.
- Upgrade pip to 10.0.1.
- Upgrade setuptools to 39.1.0.
- Upgrade wheel to 0.31.1.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size virtualenv-16.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (1.9 MB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size virtualenv-16.1.0.tar.gz (2.0 MB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for virtualenv-16.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl