A wafer-thin Django library for running small conferences.
A wafer-thin web application for running small conferences. Built using Django.
Licensed under the ISC License.
Available on readthedocs.org.
Supported Django versions
Wafer supports Django 1.11 and Django 2.0.
wafer can be installed either from pypi (pip install wafer) or from the github repository.
If installing from github, pip install -r requirements.txt should install all the required python and django dependencies.
Wafer uses npm to manage front-end dependencies
- Make sure you have a recent version of Node.js installed that includes npm.
- Run npm install to install all dependencies, which also copies them to wafer/static/vendor.
Install the wafer applications manage.py migrate
If you don’t have one yet, create a superuser with manage.py createsuperuser.
Examine the settings.py file and create a localsettings.py file overriding the defaults as required.
STATIC_FILES, WAFER_MENUS, MARKITUP_FILTER, WAFER_TALKS_OPEN, WAFER_REGISTRATION_OPEN and WAFER_PUBLIC_ATTENDEE_LIST will probably need to be overridden.
If you add extensions to MARKITUP_FILTER, be sure to install the appropriate python packages as well.
Log in and configure the Site:
- The domain will be used as the base for e-mails sent during registration.
- The name will be the conference’s name.
Wafer uses the Django caching infrastructure in several places, so the cache table needs to be created using manage.py createcachetable.
Create the default ‘Page Editors’ and ‘Talk Mentors’ groups using manage.py wafer_add_default_groups.
Have a fun conference.
The default templates and css files require jquery and bootstrap to work.
wafer provides a bower.json file to simplify the installation process. This requires a working nodejs installation.
- Install bower npm install bower
- Use bower to install appropriate versions of bootstrap and jquery $(npm bin)/bower install
- Move files to the correct location manage.py collectstatic
- Support for adding and editing sponsors via Django admin.
- Schedule can be created and updated via Django admin.
- Pages for static content, news and so forth can be handled via Django admin.
- Can be delegated to the ‘Page Editors’ group.
- Pages can be updated via the web interface.
- Talk submissions, review and acceptance.
- Generate a static version of the site for archival.
- Make the code easier to use for other conferences (split out theming, etc.).
- Improve the talk submission management module:
- Better display of accepted talks.
- Make various messages easier to customise.
- Improve admin support for the schedule:
- Show table of slots in admin interface.
- Improve handling of moving talks around.
- Support for adding news (and other templated pages) via Django admin.
- Maybe add some cool visualizations with d3:
- Number of people signed up in various categories.
- Places remaining.
- Sponsorship slots remaining.
- Days until various deadlines.
- Other improvements
- Add many tests
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|wafer-0.7.2-py2-none-any.whl (191.8 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py2||May 28, 2018|
|wafer-0.7.2-py3-none-any.whl (196.2 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py3||May 28, 2018|
|wafer-0.7.2.tar.gz (143.8 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||May 28, 2018|