Find newer package versions on PyPI
Find newer versions of your installed Python packages, or newer versions of packages in a buildout file.
This package provides a console script named checkversions.
you can install this package either in a virtualenv:
$ virtualenv sandbox $ sandbox/bin/pip install z3c.checkversions $ sandbox/bin/checkversions --help
or in your system:
$ sudo pip install z3c.checkversions $ checkversions --help
or in a buildout:
[buildout] parts = checkversions [checkversions] recipe=zc.recipe.egg eggs=z3c.checkversions [buildout]
Note that buildout support is optional and must be enabled with [buildout] so that zc.buildout is installed as well.
$ checkversions -h Usage: checkversions [-v] [-1] [-l LEVEL] [-i INDEX] [-b BLACKLIST] [buildout_file] This script will check new package versions of either your current installed distributions or a buildout file if provided. It can detect major or minor versions availability: level 0 gets the highest version (X.y.z), level 1 gets the highest intermediate version (x.Y.z), level 2 gets the highest minor version (x.y.Z). Using level 2, you can automatically retrieve all bugfix versions of a buildout. If you provide a blacklist file with bad versions, these versions won't be suggested. Options: -h, --help show this help message and exit -l LEVEL, --level=LEVEL Version level to check -i INDEX, --index=INDEX Provide and alternative package index URL -b BLACKLIST, --blacklist=BLACKLIST Provide a blacklist file with bad versions -1, --incremental Suggest only one upgrade. Skip others. -v, --verbose Verbose mode (prints old versions too)
Example with a virtualenv:
$ virtualenv --no-site-packages sandbox $ sandbox/bin/pip install z3c.checkversions $ sandbox/bin/checkversions -v -l 1 # Checking your installed distributions pip=0.7.1 # was: 0.6.3
It can work either with a full buildout.cfg or with a simple versions.cfg file.
Here is a sample versions.cfg file:
[versions] somepackage=0.5.3 otherpackage=0.1.1
You can generate a new versions.cfg
$ checkversions -v -l 1 versions.cfg # Checking buildout file versions.cfg somepackage=0.6.2 # was: 0.5.0 otherpackage=0.1.2 # was: 0.1.1
If you provide a blacklist file, such as blacklist.cfg containing bad versions, such as:
Then these versions won’t be suggested:
$ checkversions -v -l 1 versions.cfg -b blacklist.cfg # Checking buildout file versions.cfg somepackage=0.6.0 # was: 0.5.0 otherpackage=0.1.2 # was: 0.1.1
If you enable the –incremental option, only one upgrade will be suggested:
$ checkversions --incremental -v -l 1 versions.cfg # Checking buildout file versions.cfg somepackage=0.6.0 # was: 0.5.0 otherpackage=0.1.1
Uncompress the archive, then run:
$ virtualenv . $ bin/pip install tox $ tox
- Add support for Python 3.7.
- Drop support for python setup.py test.
- Fix compatibility with setuptools 39 by using an API introduced in setuptools 8. (GH #8)
- Add support for Python 3.5, 3.6 and PyPy3.
- Drop support for Python 2.6 and 3.3.
- Standardize namespace __init__.
- ignore installed packages while searching for new versions, only look in the package index (makes the test suite more reliable, among other things).
- fix IndexError: list index out of range when buildout.cfg had a package with a blank version pin.
- show updates for non-final package versions, if there’s a newer non-final version available on PyPI (GH #1)
- fixed edge case bug where 1.0 was never updated to 1.0.x
- warn buildout users about the extra requirement
- added a blacklist option for passing versions to avoid (possibly coming from a buildbot)
- added a incremental option to suggest only one upgrade
- remove a temporary file during tests
- don’t accumulate old comments
- prefer final versions
- added a verbose option to print old versions as well
- updated metadata, doc and license
- Initial release
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size z3c.checkversions-1.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (18.3 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size z3c.checkversions-1.1.tar.gz (13.8 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for z3c.checkversions-1.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl