Deploy WSGI Web Applications on AWS Lambda + API Gateway
Serverless WSGI with AWS Lambda + API Gateway
Zappa makes it super easy to deploy all Python WSGI applications on on AWS Lambda + API Gateway. Think of it as “serverless” web hosting for your Python web apps.
- No more tedious web server configuration!
- No more paying for 24/7 server uptime!
- No more worrying about load balancing / scalability!
- No more worrying about keeping servers online!
This project is for the Zappa core library, which can be used by an WSGI-compatible web framework (which is pretty much all of them.) This library also handles:
- Packaging projects into Lambda-ready zip files and uploading them to S3
- Correctly setting up IAM roles and permissions
- Automatically configuring API Gateway routes, methods and integration responses
- Deploying the API to various stages of readiness
If you are looking for the version for your favorite web frameworks, you should probably try here:
- `django-zappa <https://github.com/Miserlou/django-zappa>`__
- flask-zappa (Coming soon!)
- pyramid-zappa (Coming.. maybe?)
If you just want to use Zappa to deploy your web application, you’ll probably want to use a client library like django-zappa instead. But, if you want to create a new client library or use Zappa directly, you can follow the steps below.
You can install Zappa through pip:
$ pip install zappa
Then, you’ll want to call its main capabilities in order:
# Set your configuration project_name = "MyProject" api_stage = "Production" s3_bucket_name = 'MyLambdaBucket' # Make your Zappa object zappa = Zappa() # Load your AWS credentials from ~/.aws/credentials zappa.load_credentials() # Make sure the necessary IAM execution roles are available zappa.create_iam_roles() # Create the Lambda zip package (includes project and virtualenvironment) zip_path = zappa.create_lambda_zip(project_name) # Upload it to S3 zip_arn = zappa.upload_to_s3(zip_path, s3_bucket_name) # Register the Lambda function with that zip as the source # You'll also need to define the path to your lambda_handler code. lambda_arn = zappa.create_lambda_function(s3_bucket_name, zip_path, project_name, 'runme.lambda_handler') # Create and configure the API Gateway api_id = zappa.create_api_gateway_routes(lambda_arn) # Deploy the API! endpoint_url = zappa.deploy_api_gateway(api_id, api_stage) print("Your Zappa deployment is live!: " + endpoint_url)
And your application is live!
This project is very young, so there is still plenty to be done. Contributions are more than welcome! Please file tickets before submitting patches, and submit your patches to the ‘dev’ branch.
Things that need work right now:
- Route53 Integration
- SSL Integration
- Clients for frameworks besides Django
- Package size/speed optimization
- Fix the “hot-start” problem
- A nifty logo
- Real documentation / website!