Zhon provides constants used in Chinese text processing.
Zhon is a Python module that provides constants commonly used in Chinese text processing:
- Chinese characters
- Chinese punctuation
- Pinyin and Zhuyin characters
- Traditional and simplified characters
- ASCII characters
- Fullwidth alphanumeric variants
- Chinese radicals (as used in dictionaries)
Zhon’s constants are formatted as strings containing Unicode code ranges. This is useful for compiling RE pattern objects. They can be combined to make RE pattern objects as needed.
Finding Chinese characters in a string:
>>> re.findall('[%s]' % zhon.unicode.HAN_IDEOGRAPHS, 'Hello = 你好') ['你', '好']
Splitting Chinese text on punctuation:
>>> re.split('[%s]' % zhon.unicode.PUNCTUATION, '有人丢失了一把斧子，怎么找也没有找到。') ['有人丢失了一把斧子', '怎么找也没有找到', '']
Finding all non-Chinese characters in a string:
>>> not_zh_re = re.compile('[^%s%s]' % (zhon.unicode.HAN_IDEOGRAPHS, zhon.unicode.PUNCTUATION)) >>> not_zh_re.findall('我叫Thomas。你叫什么名字？') ['T', 'h', 'o', 'm', 'a', 's']
RE pattern objects for matching Pinyin:
>>> pinyin_a_re = re.compile(zhon.unicode.pinyin.RE_ACCENT, re.I | re.X) >>> pinyin_a_re.findall('Yǒurén diūshīle yī bǎ fǔzi, zěnme zhǎo yě méiyǒu zhǎodào.') ['Yǒu', 'rén', ' ', 'diū', 'shī', 'le', ' ', 'yī', ' ', 'bǎ', ' ', 'fǔ', 'zi', ',', ' ', 'zěn', 'me', ' ', 'zhǎo', ' ', 'yě', ' ', 'méi', 'yǒu', ' ', 'zhǎo', 'dào', '.']
- This represents every Chinese character (including historic and rare characters). HAN_IDEOGRAPHS includes CJK Unified Ideographs, CJK Unified Extensions (A-D), CJK Compatibility Ideographs, CJK Compatibility Ideographs Supplement, and the extension to the URO. More information is available in Chapter 12 of the Unicode Standard.
- This contains punctuation used in Chinese text.
- This contains characters used in Pinyin (both numbered and accented). This can be used to quickly verify text as only having Pinyin-compatible characters. It does not check for invalid syllables or spelling – it only contains individual characters.
- This contains characters used in Zhuyin (Bopomofo).
- This contains all ASCII characters.
- This contains the fullwidth variants for A-Z, a-z, and 0-9.
- This contains the Kangxi radicals and the CJK Radicals Supplement. They are used in dictionaries to index characters.
- This is a regular exprssion pattern (not compiled) that matches valid Pinyin (with numbers). It also matches punctuation and whitespace. When compiling, make sure to use the re.X and re.I flags.
- This is a regular exprssion pattern (not compiled) that matches valid Pinyin (with accents). It also matches punctuation and whitespace. When compiling, make sure to use the re.X and re.I flags.
- This contains characters considered by CC-CEDICT to be traditional.
- This contains characters considered by CC-CEDICT to be simplified.
Narrow Python Builds
If you have a narrow Python 2 build and run the following code, a ValueError is raised:
>>> unichr(0x20000) Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> ValueError: unichr() arg not in range(0x10000) (narrow Python build)
Narrow Python 3.1/3.2 builds have problems compiling RE pattern objects using characters ranges greater than 0xFFFF:
>>> re.compile('[\U00020000-\U00020005]') Traceback (most recent call last): ... sre_constants.error: bad character range
Narrow Python builds incorrectly handle the character U00020000 and others like it. Zhon takes this into account when building its constants so that you don’t have to worry about it – characters greater than your Python build’s sys.maxunicode are not included in Zhon’s constants.
Zhon is short for ZHongwen cONstants. It is pronounced like the name ‘John’.
Zhon supports Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3.
Just use pip:
$ pip install zhon
Zhon uses its GitHub Issues page to track bugs, feature requests, and support questions.
Zhon is released under the OSI-approved MIT License. See the file LICENSE.txt for more information.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size zhon-0.2.1.tar.gz (59.8 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|