Programmable browser for functional black-box tests
zope.testbrowser provides an easy-to-use programmable web browser with special focus on testing. It is used in Zope, but it’s not Zope specific at all. For instance, it can be used to test or otherwise interact with any web site.
Documentation is available at: https://zopetestbrowser.readthedocs.org
- Fix a DeprecationWarning on Python 3. See issue 51.
- Add support for Python 3.7.
- Drop support for Python 3.3 and 3.4.
- Drop support for pystone as Python 3.7 dropped pystone. So Browser.lastRequestPystones no longer exists. Rename .browser.PystoneTimer to .browser.Timer.
- Fix mechRepr of CheckboxListControl to always return a native str. (https://github.com/zopefoundation/zope.testbrowser/pull/46).
- Add mechRepr to input fields having the type email. (https://github.com/zopefoundation/zope.testbrowser/pull/47).
- Fix form submit with GET method if the form action contains a query string (https://github.com/zopefoundation/zope.testbrowser/pull/42).
- Restore ignoring hidden elements when searching by label (https://github.com/zopefoundation/zope.testbrowser/pull/41).
- Fix mechRepr on controls to always return a native str (https://github.com/zopefoundation/zope.testbrowser/issues/38).
- Restore raising of AttributeError when trying to set value of a read only control.
- Fix selecting radio and select control options by index (https://github.com/zopefoundation/zope.testbrowser/issues/31).
- Exclude version 2.0.27 of WebTest from allowed versions as it breaks some tests.
- Adapt tests to version 2.0.28 of WebTest but keeping compatibility to older versions.
- Fixed toStr to handle lists, for example a list of class names. [maurits]
- Fixed browser to only follow redirects for HTTP statuses 301, 302, 303, and 307; not other 30x statuses such as 304.
- Fix passing a real file to add_file.
- Add controls property to Form class to list all form controls.
- Restore the ability to use parts of the actually displayed select box titles.
- Allow to set a string value instead of a list on Browser.displayValue.
- Fix setting empty values on a select control.
- Support Python 3.6, PyPy2.7 an PyPy3.3.
- Alias .browser.urllib_request.HTTPError to .browser.HTTPError to have a better API.
Converted most doctests to Sphinx documentation, and published to https://zopetestbrowser.readthedocs.io/ .
Internal implementation now uses WebTest instead of mechanize. The mechanize dependency is completely dropped. This is a backwards-incompatible change.
zope.testbrowser.testing.Browser (this is a big one).
Instead of using zope.testbrowser.testing.Browser() and relying on it to magically pick up the zope.app.testing.functional singleton application, you now have to define a test layer inheriting from zope.testbrowser.wsgi.Layer, overrride the make_wsgi_app method to create a WSGI application, and then use zope.testbrowser.wsgi.Browser() in your tests.
(Or you can set up a WSGI application yourself in whatever way you like and pass it explicitly to zope.testbrowser.browser.Browser(wsgi_app=my_app).)
Example: if your test file looked like this
# my/package/tests.py from zope.app.testing.functional import defineLayer from zope.app.testing.functional import FunctionalDocFileSuite defineLayer('MyFtestLayer', 'ftesting.zcml', allow_teardown=True) def test_suite(): suite = FunctionalDocFileSuite('test.txt', ...) suite.layer = MyFtestLayer return suite
now you’ll have to use
# my/package/tests.py from unittest import TestSuite import doctest import zope.app.wsgi.testlayer import zope.testbrowser.wsgi class Layer(zope.testbrowser.wsgi.TestBrowserLayer, zope.app.wsgi.testlayer.BrowserLayer): """Layer to prepare zope.testbrowser using the WSGI app.""" layer = Layer(my.package) def test_suite(): suite = doctest.DocFileSuite('test.txt', ...) suite.layer = layer return TestSuite((suite,))
and then change all your tests from
>>> from zope.testbrowser.testing import Browser
>>> from zope.testbrowser.wsgi import Browser
Maybe the blog post Getting rid of zope.app.testing could help you adapting to this new version, too.
Remove internal classes you were not supposed to use anyway:
Remove internal attributes you were not supposed to use anyway (this list is not necessarily complete):
Remove setuptools extras:
- The testbrowser no longer follows HTML redirects aka <meta http-equiv="refresh" ... />. This was a mechanize feature which does not seem to be provided by WebTest.
Add support for Python 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5.
Drop support for Python 2.5 and 2.6.
Drop the WebTest <= 1.3.4 pin. We require WebTest >= 2.0.8 now.
Remove dependency on deprecated zope.app.testing.
Bugfix: browser.getLink() could fail if your HTML contained <a> elements with no href attribute (https://github.com/zopefoundation/zope.testbrowser/pull/3).
- pinning version ‘WebTest <= 1.3.4’, because of some incompatibility and test failures
- Make zope.testbrowser installable via pip (https://github.com/zopefoundation/zope.testbrowser/issues/6).
- When Browser.handleErrors is False, also add x-wsgiorg.throw_errors to the environment. http://wsgi.org/wsgi/Specifications/throw_errors
- Prevent WebTest from always sending paste.throw_errors=True in the environment by setting it to None when Browser.handleErrors is True. This makes it easier to test error pages.
- Make Browser.submit() handle raiseHttpErrors (https://github.com/zopefoundation/zope.testbrowser/pull/4).
- More friendly error messages from getControl() et al:
- when you specify an index that is out of bounds, show the available choices
- when you fail to find anything, show all the available items
- Remove test dependency on zope.pagetemplate.
- Add a hint in documentation how to use zope.testbrowser.wsgi.Browser to test a Zope 2/Zope 3/Bluebream WSGI application.
- LP #721252: AmbiguityError now shows all matching controls.
- Integrate with WebTest. zope.testbrowser.wsgi.Browser is a Browser implementation that uses webtest.TestApp to drive a WSGI application. This this replaces the wsgi_intercept support added in 3.11.
- Re-write the test application as a pure WSGI application using WebOb. Run the existing tests using the WebTest based Browser
- Move zope.app.testing based Browser into zope.app.testing (leaving backwards compatibility imports in-place). Released in zope.app.testing 3.9.0.
- Fixing brown bag release 3.11.0.
- Add wsgi_intercept support (came from zope.app.wsgi.testlayer).
- Move the over-the-wire.txt doctest out of the TestBrowserLayer as it doesn’t need or use it.
- Fix test compatibility with zope.app.testing 3.8.1.
- Fixed backwards compatibility with zope.app.wsgi.testlayer.
- Fixed Python 2.7 compatibility in Browser.handleErrors.
- Fixed a bug that caused the Browser to keep it’s previous contents The places are: - Link.click() - SubmitControl.click() - ImageControl.click() - Form.submit()
- Also adjusted exception messages at the above places to match pre version 3.4.1 messages.
- LP #98437: use mechanize’s built-in submit() to submit forms, allowing mechanize to set the “Referer:” (sic) header appropriately.
- Fixed tests to run with zope.app.testing 3.8 and above.
- LP #568806: Update dependency mechanize >= 0.2.0, which now includes the ClientForm APIs. Remove use of urllib2 APIs (incompatible with mechanize 0.2.0) in favor of mechanize equivalents. Thanks to John J. Lee for the patch.
- Use stdlib doctest module, instead of zope.testing.doctest.
- Caution: This version is no longer fully compatible with Python 2.4: handleErrors = False no longer works.
- Pin dependency on mechanize to prevent use of the upcoming 0.2.0 release before we have time to adjust to its API changes.
- Fix LP #98396: testbrowser resolves relative URLs incorrectly.
- Add follow convenience method which gets and follows a link.
- Move zope.app.testing dependency into the scope of the PublisherConnection class. Zope2 specifies its own version of PublisherConnection which isn’t dependent on zope.app.testing.
- Fix LP #419119: return None when the browser has no contents instead of raising an exception.
- Update dependency from zope.app.publisher to zope.browserpage, zope.browserresource and zope.ptresource.
- Remove dependencies on zope.app.principalannotation and zope.securitypolicy by using the simple PermissiveSecurityPolicy.
- Replace the testing dependency on zope.app.zcmlfiles with explicit dependencies of a minimal set of packages.
- Remove unneeded zope.app.authentication from ftesting.zcml.
- Update dependency from zope.app.securitypolicy to zope.securitypolicy.
- Update dependency from zope.app.folder to zope.site.folder.
- Remove unnecessary test dependency in zope.app.component.
- Update author e-mail to zope-dev rather than zope3-dev.
- No longer strip newlines in XML and HTML code contained in a <textarea>; fix requires ClientForm >= 0.2.10 (LP #268139).
- Add cookies attribute to browser for easy manipulation of browser cookies. See brief example in main documentation, plus new cookies.txt documentation.
- Work around for a mechanize/urllib2 bug on Python 2.6 missing timeout attribute on Request base class.
- Work around for a mechanize/urllib2 bug in creating request objects that won’t handle fragment URLs correctly.
- Add a zope.testbrowser.testing.Browser.post method that allows tests to supply a body and a content type. This is handy for testing Ajax requests with non-form input (e.g. JSON).
- Remove vendor import of mechanize.
- Fix bug that caused HTTP exception tracebacks to differ between version 3.4.0 and 3.4.1.
- Work around a bug in Python Cookie.SimpleCookie when handling unicode strings.
- Fix bug introduced in 3.4.1 that created incompatible tracebacks in doctests. This necessitated adding a patched mechanize to the source tree; patches have been sent to the mechanize project.
- Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/149517 by adding zope.interface and zope.schema as real dependencies
- Fix browser.getLink documentation that was not updated since the last API modification.
- Move tests for fixed bugs to a separate file.
- Remove non-functional and undocumented code intended to help test servers using virtual hosting.
- Resolve ZopeSecurityPolicy deprecation warning.
- Update dependencies to mechanize 0.1.7b and ClientForm 0.2.7.
- Add support for Python 2.5.
- Add the ability to suppress raising exceptions on HTTP errors (raiseHttpErrors attribute).
- Make the tests more resilient to HTTP header formatting changes with the REnormalizer.
Initial release as a separate project, corresponds to zope.testbrowser from Zope 3.4.0a1
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|zope.testbrowser-5.3.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (61.4 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py2.py3|
|zope.testbrowser-5.3.1.tar.gz (82.3 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None|