MS Windows command-line script to view and edit PATH-like environment variables.
Running edpath displays entries from the PATH (or other named environment variable), with ‘;’ separators replaced by newlines, so that each entry is on its own line. Running with –edit displays this in $EDITOR, and saved changes are written back to the registry, where they will be picked up by all new processes.
Run with –help for description and usage.
- Microsoft Windows. Only tested on Windows XP.
- Python 2.6, 2.7 or 3.1
- Package pywin32, from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/
- Package argparse, using easy_install, or from http://pypi.python.org/pypi/argparse
Argparse is not required on Python 2.7, it is built into the standard library.
Status and Known Problems
Feature complete. No known issues.
If you have comments or it doesn’t work for you or you find bugs, I’d love to hear about it. -email@example.com
- stop using module doctrings for usage text, it fails with -O
- strip out unneeded modules in py2exe output
- gracefully handle EDITOR not set or doesn’t exist
- modify setup.py to split readme by paras, not lines. see setup-fix.py
- convert makefile to bin.sh files?
- reasess README / usage: which is for which audiences?
- needs a canonical webpage for users (not python devs)
- store backups of old PATH values in case user trashes their PATH?
- option to output on stdout in ‘;’ delimited form
- make Linux-friendly. Presumably we can only display the output there, not persist it.
Thanks to Tim Golden for his marvellous descriptions and code snippets showing how to read & modify environment variables in the Windows registry.
- 0.1.3 Add stand-alone executable.
- 0.1.2 Nothing much.
- 0.1.1 Improvements to documentation and usage text.
- 0.1.0 Initial release. Feature complete.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|edpath-0.1.4.tar.gz (4.9 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||Jul 9, 2010|
|edpath-0.1.4.zip (7.2 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||Jul 9, 2010|