This bot monitors github trending repositories and twitts about them
Github Trending twitter bot
Posts to twitter one-at-a-day trending github repositories.
- Free software: BSD license
- More documentation: https://ghubtrending.readthedocs.org.
- Check if if this week we’ve got a json file, if not
- Get the week’s twitter repositories
- Store them in a json file
- Publish the json file to github (just for coolness)
- If we’ve got it.
- Get current day’s twitter trending.
This means that we’re not actually posting today’s trending but one specific day’s Nth trending being N the day of week.
But that’s ok, as I’m doing this to have one specific repository each week.
Also, we mantain a list of already-posted repos and get the next one if we’ve already posted that.
- Python 3
- Twitts one twitt-at-a-day so people won’t get tired
- Does not twitt repeated twitts
Install it by executing:
python setup.py install
I recommend the usage of a virtualenv.
This will create an entry_point, called ghubtrending, that will update the twitter status with the repository of the week.
This works only on python3. Configuration file should be, located at ~/.ghtrend_bot.cfg as follows:
[github] login= password= [twitter] CONSUMER_KEY= CONSUMER_SECRET= ACCESS_TOKEN= ACCESS_TOKEN_SECRET=
This gets the trending repositories CREATED last week Currently this seems to be GH’s way of showing trending.gh.com but it might change in the future on GH’s side. Not here. This one will continue to show last week’s =)
This requires you’ve got ~/.ghtrending directory created. I’m using that to have a link to data/ in there and auto-commit its content
- First release on PyPI.