Implementation of Java's Random
Java-Random is a simple implementation of Java’s standard java.util.Random class in Python. Java’s random number generation algorithm is exceedingly straightforward to reimplement in other languages, and this is simply an implementation for Python.
A standard setup.py is provided.
- Why would you do this?
- I needed this particular generator available in another program, and this was the quickest, simplest way to achieve that goal.
- What’s wrong with Python’s random module?
- Nothing. In fact, Python’s random module is far superior to this module in a number of respects, including predictability, speed, robustness, and features. If you’re looking for good random number generation in Python, just use random instead.
- Your code sucks.
- That’s not a question. Also, feel free to blame the Java specification for that, as they have a very specific way of doing things and I felt that trying to spice up my code might lead to some unobvious and unfun bugs.
- Where is the official Java specification for this, anyway?
- http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Random.html, until Oracle removes it.
- …This is for Minecraft, isn’t it?
- No comment.