Dump emails to a file. It can be used as a remplacement for sendmail or an SMTP server.
Save emails to a file. It can be used as a replacement for sendmail or a SMTP server.
You can install it with pip install mailsave or pip install --user mailsave
You can also use the single file version. Since mailsave only needs the standard library, you don’t have anything to install.
It is different from other tools like maildump because:
- It is very minimalist: no Web or GUI interface, just files.
- It can be used instead of sendmail.
To use in place of sendmail, just put the path to the mailsave executable instead of the sendmail one. For instance, in a php.ini file:
sendmail_path = /home/jenselme/.virtualenvs/test/bin/mailsave --dir mails
To use as an SMTP server, launch it like this:
mailsave --server --dir mails
Then you can send it emails with the SMTP protocol:
swaks --to firstname.lastname@example.org --server localhost --port 2525 --add-header "X-Custom-Header: Swaks-Tested"
To view the full help, use:
Written for Python 3.5+.
- Decode HTML payload when extracting HTML. If we don’t, the HTML message is not valid HTML and cannot be displayed by a web browser.
- Move project to gitlab
- Add support for emails with payload encoded in base64
- Improve handling of email with special characters sent from stdin
- Normalize file names before save
- Can use subject in file name
- Can choose not to save the file
- Can extract HTML from the mail
- Add support for -t option. This is useful if the dots of the mail are escaped before being sent to the script, ie a dot (.) at the start of a line is replaced by two dots (..).
- Add an option to print the version
- Don’t print traceback when quitting the “readline” version with CTRL-C
- Can use a template for the file
- Can choose the name of the file in which to save.
- Don’t fail if script receive undefined option. It is important to act as a replacement for sendmail. Some program will try to call it with custom options.
- Include LICENSE and HISTORY.rst in release made to pypi.
- Add a single file version so users don’t have to install mailsave with pip.
- Can read mail from SMTP.
- Can act as a replacement of sendmail.