A utility to discover all package dependencies for a specific Python package
PackMap is a simple utility which finds all dependent packages for a given Python package. It does this by installing the package and all of its dependencies into a clean temporary virtual environment and probing installed components for their actual requirements.
- PackMap is available on PyPI and can be installed with pip:
- pip install packmap
- Checking the dependencies of a package called lplight on PyPI:
- packmap lplight –pdf-results
- Checking the dependencies of a package on your hard drive:
- packmap lplight –install-type path –install-path /path/to/package –pdf-results
PackMap output’s two different type of results; JSON and PDF.
- JSON results: Gives you the ability to parse through the results for yourself to find changes in version numbers or requirement specs.
- PDF results: Produces an graph for easier viewing and consumption.
The PDF results functionality requires the graphviz system package to be installed.