system configuration software
Poni is a simple system configuration management tool implemented in Python.
|email:||mika dot eloranta at gmail dot com|
Installing and operating Poni requires:
- Python 2.6 (or greater)
- setuptools installed
- Internet connection for downloading the dependency Python packages from PyPI
Using Amazon EC2 requires setting the following environment variables:
export AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID=<your aws access key> export AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY=<your aws secret access key>
Additionally, running the included automated tests requires:
Building HTML files from the included ReST documentation requires:
NOTE: during installation the following packages and their dependencies are automatically installed from PyPI:
- path.py (directory and file management)
- Cheetah (text-based templating language)
- Argh (command-line argument parsing)
Installing the following Python libraries will add optional functionality:
- Paramiko (Remote node control using SSH)
- GitPython (Version controlling the repository with Git)
- Boto (Amazon EC2 virtual machine provisioning)
- Genshi (XML-based templating)
Installation using pip or easy_install
Poni can be installed from Python Package Index (PyPI) by running pip install poni or easy_install poni.
Manual Installation steps
- Unpack the poni-v.vv.tar.gz package
- cd poni-v.vv/
- python setup.py install
Verifying the installation
- You should be able to import poni from Python
- The poni command-line tool is installed (to a platform-specific location), try running poni -h for help
- Running automated tests: cd poni-v.vv/ && nosetests
Please refer to the documentation under the doc/ directory (published at http://melor.github.com/poni/) and to the example systems under the examples/ directory.
Copyright (c) 2010 Mika Eloranta Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.