A Python interface to x3270, an IBM 3270 terminal emulator
py3270 is a Python interface to x3270, an IBM 3270 terminal emulator. It provides an API to a x3270 or s3270 subprocess.
The x3270 executables need to be on your PATH!
A brief example of usage:
from py3270 import Emulator # use x3270 so you can see what is going on em = Emulator(visible=True) # or not (uses s3270) em = Emulator() em.connect('3270host.example.com') em.fill_field(17, 23, 'mylogin', 8) em.fill_field(18, 23, 'mypass', 8) em.send_enter() # if your host unlocks the keyboard before truly being ready you can use: em.wait_for_field() # maybe look for a status message if not em.string_found(1, 2, 'login succesful'): abort() # do something useful # disconnect from host and kill subprocess em.terminate()
None, sorry. Read the code, its pretty simple & self-explanatory :)
More information on x3270/s3270 can be found at:
Upgrading from 0.1.x to 0.2.0
There are some backwards incompatable changes from 0.1.5 to 0.2.0. Namely:
- x3270 executables now need to be on the PATH
- Don’t use x3270.EmulatorBase, use x3270.Emulator instead. Its the same API exect that you no longer need to specify the paths to the x3270 executables.
- the underlying Command object and some internal APIs have changed. If you were digging into the Emulator instance to change things, you may have problems. See the source, the changes weren’t major and shouldn’t be too hard to fix.
Questions & Comments
Please visit: http://groups.google.com/group/blazelibs
The interface seems sound, but the Emulator class has only basic functionality. There are more x3270 commands that the Emulator could have methods for. That being said, I believe most x3270 functionality can be supported at a lower-level by the use of Emulator.exec_command().
py3270 is installable via pip with pip install py3270 or easy_install with easy_install py3270.
0.3.4 released 2017-07-24
- Fix BrokenPipeError issue WRT Python 2.7
0.3.3 released 2016-01-21
- continued fix to broken version import (include version in manifest)
0.3.2 released 2016-01-21
- fix broken version import in setup.py (broken in 0.3.0 and 0.3.1)
0.3.1 released 2016-01-21
- fix testing support for Python 3
- fix Windows support for Python 3
- move to github, related updates to vcs-specific files
0.3.0 released 2015-07-29
- Support Python 3
0.2.0 released 2014-03-28
- Add Windows support, but not tested thoroughly. Consider Windows support Experimental.
- use x3270 executables from PATH instead of requiring ExamBase to be subclassed
- fix buffering problems when writing to x3270 subprocess
0.1.5 released 2013-06-17
- changed default timeout to 30 seconds
- added send_pf7(), send_pf8()
0.1.4 released 2012-03-17
- added is_connected() method
0.1.3 released 2011-12-06
- had messed up a previous upload to pypi releasing a fixed 0.1.1 as 0.1.2, so
- need to go to next version number
0.1.2 released 2011-12-06
- fix data parsing on Windows
0.1.1 released 2011-12-05
- renamed Emulator to EmulatorBase to make it clearer that a subclass is needed
- adjusted readme
0.1.0 released 2011-12-01
- initial release