IPython/Jupyter notebook magic to notify the programmer when a line/cell has completed execution
IPython Bell is a simple magic for IPython and Jupyter Notebooks, which notifies yoy when the current line/cell has finished execution. This is particularly useful for long tasks. It can make sounds or even make notification bubbles pop up.
IPython bell can be installed as a standard Python package: either from PyPI:
pip install IPythonBell
or from git:
git clone http://github.com/samwhitehall/ipython-bell.git cd ipython-bell/ python setup.py install
This can be imported into an IPython shell session using either: import ipython_bell or %load_ext ipython_bell
Although you probably want it to load when IPython loads, in which case, edit your IPython profile file (by default ~/.ipython/profile_default/ipython_config.py) and add ipython_bell to :
c.TerminalIPythonApp.extensions = [ 'ipython_bell' ]
(you may need to create this, and can do so with ipython profile create).
This can be used as a magic for a single line (line magic):
In : %bell print 'hello' hello
or across multiple lines (cell magic):
In: %%bell import time time.sleep(5)
There are four currently available notifiers, selectable with the -n or --notifier arguments:
- Terminal Bell term: prints an audible bell character to stdout (doesn’t work in Notebook).
- Say say: play a system sound & use text-to-speech.
- Notification notify: (default) operating system notification with sound.
- Silent Notification notify-silent: operating notification without sound
Specified as follows (in this case, for notify):
In : %bell -n notify print 'hello' hello In: %%bell -n notify import time time.sleep(5)
- MacOS: should work out of the box.
- Linux: you may need to install beep and/or libnotify.
- Windows: entirely untested, so please create an issue if it doesn’t work (notifications only designed to work work on Windows 10+).
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size IPythonBell-0.10.tar.gz (3.5 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|