Python Package Tools
PyPT (or pypt) stands for Python Package Tools. The main purpose of this project is to streamline and simplify the boilerplate and annoyances in creating a Python package for distribution–either locally via python setup.py install or via pip.
- The aims are broader than simple initialization of a basic setup.py file, including:
- Keeping track of non-Python files in your distribution and wrangling MANIFEST.in
- Keeping track of and updating requirements for your package.
- A relatively simple command-line API for other basic changes to the setup function of setup.py.
- Being somewhat “git aware”, in grabbing a likely URL for the repo, collaborator names and emails, etc.
- It’s written using jinja2 for code templates, ast for parsing existing code, and GitPython for grabbing git repo metadata.
pip install PyPT
Or, you can clone this repository, navigate to the directory in which you cloned this repository, and do a
python setup.py install
Once the package is installed, you’ll get an executable command by the name of pypt:
Usage: pypt [--version] [--help] pypt <command> [<args>...] Commands: init Set up a new Python package (setup.py, MANIFEST.in, etc) config Get/set configuration options
To initialize a package, do pypt init in the directory in which you want to create a setup.py:
Usage: pypt init [options] -h --help -i --interactive Interactive mode (without this flag, defaults are used)
The MIT License (MIT)
Copyright (c) 2015 Jack Maney
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the “Software”), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.