Pyjamas Widget API for Desktop applications, in Python
Pyjamas-Desktop is a cross-platform framework and applications widget set, based on WebKit. PyWebkitGtk is currently the basis for Pyjamas-Desktop, and it is conceivable that there will exist a PyWebkitQt4, and Pyjamas-Desktop will run on top of that, as well.
Pyjamas-Desktop is similar to KiWi in that it provides an easy-to-use API, where you need not know - at all - that you are running PyGTK underneath.
Pyjamas-Desktop is actually a port of Pyjamas which is a web toolkit, so you also have the option of running PyjamasDesktop applications as web applications - unmodified.
The Pyjamas Widget set is exceptionally comprehensive and yet is easy to use, providing:
- Simple, Horizontal, Vertical, Docking, Decking, Popup, Stack, Tab, Grid, Flow, Table and HTML Panels
- Text Labels and HTML including full CSS Stylesheet support and full CSS properties
- Input, Password and Textarea input boxes
- List drop-downs including Multi-selection
- Buttons, Checkboxes and Radio-Buttons including groups.
- Form Submit Panel (providing file upload).
- Treeview, Menu and Menubar (vertical and horizontal).
Additional features, thanks to the underlying use of webkit, include:
- Full CSS Stylesheet functionality, both local, remote and direct and simple API manipulation.
- Loading of complete HTML Pages, both local and remote; full URL support.
- Plugin support for multimedia plugins such as Flash (obsoleting the need for gtk-mozplugin)
- Access to XML, XSLT and AJAX.
- (Future: full SVG Canvas support, like HippoCanvas)
Pre-built amd64 .debs are available for download, providing pywebkitgtk-1.0, libwebkit-1.0-2 and libwebkit-dev, here:
Currently, Pyjamas-Desktop requires patched versions of both Webkit and PyWebkitGtk, as of 01-Sep-2008. The patches are here:
The Pyjamas api is documented here:
Also, as Pyjamas is based on Google’s WebKit, the documentation for GWT 1.5 may prove useful:
Pyjamas-Desktop is available for download from Pypi and Sourceforge. PLEASE NOTE that you will still need, at this point, modified versions of PyWebkitGtk and Webkit (see Requirements, above).
Pyjamas-Desktop is available as a git repository:
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|Pyjamas-Desktop-0.1.linux-x86_64.tar.gz (152.0 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Dumb Binary||any||Sep 6, 2008|
|Pyjamas_Desktop-0.1-py2.5.egg (168.1 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Egg||2.5||Sep 6, 2008|
|Pyjamas-Desktop-0.1.tar.gz (63.9 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||Sep 6, 2008|