The quick and dirty Python packager for Windows
WinPackIt is the winpackit.py module, a Python script with no external dependency required. It will package your Python project into a stand-alone Windows distribution.
How does it work.
Python 3.5 introduced the embeddable package distribution on Windows: that is, an “almost complete” Python zipped in a single, non-installer file. While intended mainly for embedding purposes, the opposite is also possible: with some tinkering, one can make this package into a full-fledged self-contained Python environment ready to support a Python application.
Basically, that is what this script is for.
- When you run WinPackIt,
- it will download and unpack a Python embeddable package,
- download and install Pip into it,
- download and install any needed external dependency,
- copy your project files,
- optionally compile your file to .pyc,
- leave a friendly install.bat file for the final user to run.
- At this point, you may distribute the resulting “build” folder to the final users; all they have to do…
- drop the folder anywhere on their Windows box,
- open it and double-clic the install.bat file;
- this in turn will produce Windows shortcut(s) to the entry-point(s) of your app to double-click, tailored for their machine.
You will need Python 3.6+ to run WinPackIt. No external dependency is required. On the target side, you can produce builds based on any Python 3.5+. You don’t have to match your own Python with the target Python.
The WinPackIt script runs on Linux too, of course. Except, the build process needs to run the target Python a few times in order to install external packages and compile .pyc files - and that will be impossible on Linux. Then again, if you need no external packages nor compiling, it should work as a charm. See docs for more details.
- pip install winpackit in your virtual environment, or even pipx install winpackit if your really like WinPackIt and would love to have it always at hand;
- run python -m winpackit my_runner.py;
- this will produce a my_runner.py runner file for WinPackIt: open it and customize to your liking;
- run python my_runner.py;
- this will produce a “build” folder of your project, as specified in the runner file settings, ready to be distributed to the final user.
See the doc file for more details.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size WinPackIt-0.7.0-py3-none-any.whl (16.2 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size WinPackIt-0.7.0.tar.gz (14.8 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for WinPackIt-0.7.0-py3-none-any.whl