A web scraper for ticker symbols from yahoo finance
Produces .csv, .json, .yaml, and .xls files (All files contain same data in a different format) for stocks, ETF, futures, indexes, mutual funds, currency, warrants and bonds. The ticker symbol, company name and exchange are saved.
It gets its data from https://finance.yahoo.com/lookup/. Please note: it is not possible to get all the symbols due to limitations set by Yahoo. About 75%-90% of all symbols are gathered using this script depending on type.
From python package manager (preferred):
pip install Yahoo-ticker-downloader
python setup.py install
The first param is one of the following types: stocks etf future index mutualfund currency warrant bond
The program takes several hours before any output is generated. The program supports suspending and resuming a download. Press CTRL+C to suspend download. Restart the program in the same working directory to resume downloading.
Example of output:
Ticker,Name,Exchange,categoryName,categoryNr ENZ,"Enzo Biochem Inc.",NYQ,"Medical Laboratories & Research",525 ENZN,"Enzon Pharmaceuticals Inc.",NMS,Biotechnology,515 ENZR,"Energizer Resources Inc.",PNK,,0 EOAA.DE,"E.ON AG",GER,"Diversified Utilities",913 KMX,"CarMax Inc.",NYQ,"Auto Dealerships",744 KMY.MU,KIMBERLY-CLARK,MUN,"Personal Products",323 KN1.DU,ECOUNION,DUS,"Business Software & Services",826 KNCAY,"Konica Minolta Holdings Inc.",PNK,,0 KND,"Kindred Healthcare Inc.",NYQ,"Long-Term Care Facilities",523 KNDI,"Kandi Technologies, Corp",NGM,"Auto Manufacturers - Major",330 ...ect
Depending on the type you are downloading, you will between 3.000 and 26.000 entries.
Download history for symbols: ystockquote
- Version 0.10.0
- Removed bond downloading option.
- Uses different yahoo source. Fixes #18
- Removed python2 from classifiers. Related to #16
- Version 0.9.0
- Added a flag to restrict output to specific stock exchanges.
- Version 0.8.1
- Workaround for #7 : downloading interruption
- Solution for #9 : UnicodeEncodeError
- Version 0.7.0
- Added –export option. It will transcode the .pickle file immediately to the desired output formats.
- Version 0.6.0
- Add 3 retries with an exponential back-off if HTTPError or ChunkedEncodingError is raised when processing _fetchHtml.
- Version 0.5.0
- Allows downloading using a insecure connection.
- The temporarily download file-names now include the ticker type.
- Version 0.4.0
- Warrant symbols can now be downloaded.
- Bond symbols can now be downloaded.
- Version 0.3.0
- Use https instead of http
- Retry to fetch a page if it contains no symbols (A “fix” for issue #4)
- Renamed all ‘Curreny’ to ‘Currency’
- Relative imports are used
- Fix: .csv file it outputs is encoded in UTF-8 when using python2
- Performance: Considerable reduced memory consumption
- It now outputs .json, .yaml and .xls files in addition to .csv
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size Yahoo-ticker-downloader-0.10.0.tar.gz (7.6 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for Yahoo-ticker-downloader-0.10.0.tar.gz