A simpler interface to the Debian/Ubuntu APT command-line tools.
A shorter, simpler, and slightly saner interactive interface to the Debian/Ubuntu APT command-line tools.
Note: This utility is not as useful as it once was because the apt command has already incorported its headline features. However, it is still more convenient in a number of ways, so read on if you’d like.
apt may be thought of as a traffic cop that directs commands to the appropriate tool, automatically elevating itself with sudo if need-be. It consolidates all commands from apt-get and apt-cache, and the most common from aptitude, dpkg, dpkg-query, add-apt-repository, and apt-key. It has a much narrower focus than “kitchen-sink” tools such as wajig.
Hopefully this micro-project will make your life a tiny bit easier.
sudo pip install apt-wrapper
or for a possibly more up-to-date version:
sudo pip install https://bitbucket.org/mixmastamyk/apt/get/default.tar.gz
apt # List available commands. apt add universe # Invokes sudo automatically, Password: # when necessary. apt add ppa:who/foo apt update apt search foo apt policy foo apt install foo bar apt purge foo apt instdeb foo.deb apt instdeb http://foo... # new apt who-owns `which tr` coreutils: /usr/bin/tr
apt can also handle shortened commands. Add letters until it can be uniquely identified:
sudo apt-get clean
There are a few aliases for common commands as well:
apt in foo # install foo apt rm bar # remove apt se baz # apt-cache search apt ls boo # list installed packages, optionally # with pkg name or glob\* argument syntax. apt dir # dir (e.g. NT or ls -l) installed packages.
Licensed under the GPL, version 3+.
- 1.18 - Forced off bitbucket, move to github. Update metadata.
- 1.15 - fix: instdeb download issue under Python3.
- 1.12 - enh: Python 3 support, refactoring.
- 1.11 - enh: rmrepo command to remove ppa’s.
- 1.10 - enh: reorder messages, refactoring.
- 1.09 - enh: addrepo can now enable standard repos, print commands by default.
- 1.08 - enh: instdeb can now download and install from urls.
- 1.07 - Fix auto elevate for instdeb.
- 1.06 - Add ls and dir aliases and doc syntax.
- 1.05 - Doc improvements.
- 1.04 - Allow additional options to be passed thru w/o error.
- 1.03 - Update readme with release notes and document new aliases.
- 1.02 - Add who-owns alias for searchfiles.
- 1.01 - Add in alias for install.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for apt_wrapper-1.18-py2.py3-none-any.whl