UML to code generator for Plone
With ArchGenXML you can create working python code without writing one single line of python. It is is a commandline utility that generates fully functional Zope Products based on the Archetypes framework from UML models using XMI (.xmi, .zargo, .zuml) files. The most common use case is to generate a set of custom content types, possibly with a few tools, a custom Member type and some workflows thrown in.
In practice, you draw your UML diagrams in a tool like ArgoUML which has the ability to generate XMI files. Once you are ready to test your product, you run ArchGenXML on the XMI file, which will generate the product directory. After generation, you will be able to install your product in Plone and have your new content types, tools and workflows available.
At present, round-trip support is not implemented: Custom code can’t be converted back into XMI (and thus diagrams). However, you can re-generate your product over existing code. Method bodies and certain protected code sections will be preserved. This means that you can evolve your product’s public interfaces, its methods and its attributes in the UML model, without fear of losing your hand-written code.
We support Plone Versions 2.5.x and >3.1.x. But if you have code generated with some ArchGenXML version below 2 you will need to adjust the generated model and code manually. There is no smooth migration. If you dont need to make your code run on Plone 3, stick to an older version of ArchGenXML.
- make z3 interfaces the default interface and dont accept any longer zope2 interfaces [jensens]
- Use portal_type tagged-value if available instead of class name when generating workflows.xml. [vincentfretin]
- remove unneccessary imports for remember/membrane, view permissions can now additionally be specified in the dependency association to the content class, name of the view template can now additionally be specified in the dependency relation between view class and content class, pass fixed size parameter to arrayfield (i.e. 4 generates size-4) , browser views: name on dpendency determines name of view, remove old generator i18n support. [zworkb]
- tgv for dynatree widget [hpeteragitator]
- Added worklist:guard_expressions tag definition. [vincentfretin]
- Fixed UnicodeEncodeError when writing the code of existing methods back to the files and the code is in the unicode format. [deo]
- Extender doesn’t generate interfaces twice anymore. [jensens]
- You can now set meta_type=”Subtractive Workflow” (default is “Workflow”) and state_var=”confidential_state” for example (default is “review_state”) on a workflow to use it with collective.subtractiveworkflow. [vincentfretin]
- Added roles and permissions protected sections in rolemap.xml. [vincentfretin]
- Replaced buggy odict implementation by the ordereddict implementation available in Python 2.7. [moldy]
- Unicode fixes for generated module info header. [moldy]
- Removed DeprecationWarning about the sets module. [vincentfretin]
- Header info: use better formatting for author. Encode module header strings so we don’t choke on non-ASCII chars. [moldy]
- Make “dependend_profiles” alternative as multi-tgv available (avoid ultra-long tgvs). [jensens]
- Added virtual field type “keywords” which results in a LinesField with KeywordWidget (this needs a tgv catalog:index=1). [jensens]
- Prevent error on empty tgv. [hpeteragitator]
- Fix wrong version ‘2.4-‘. ‘2.4-‘ version was not fully uploaded. [vincentfretin]
- Fix use of index:extras tagged-value [jensens]
- Enable easy plone.app.content.ATBlob subclassing. Add atblob stereotype to the profile. [jensens]
- Add stripogram (available as egg) as dependency. [jensens]
- Fix catalog assignment when catalogmultiples tagged valued is used. [erico_andrei]