A utility for automating multi-host, multi-environment software builds and deployments.
batou helps you to automate your application deployments:
- You create a model of your deployment using a simple but powerful Python API.
- You configure how the model applies to hosts in different environments.
- You verify and run the deployment with the batou utility.
Getting started with a new project is easy:
mkdir myproject cd myproject git init curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flyingcircusio/batou/main/bootstrap | sh git commit -m "Start a batou project."
Here's a minimal application model:
$ mkdir -p components/myapp $ cat > components/myapp/component.py from batou.component import Component from batou.lib.python import VirtualEnv, Package from batou.lib.supervisor import Program class MyApp(Component): def configure(self): venv = VirtualEnv('2.7') self += venv venv += Package('myapp') self += Program('myapp', command='bin/myapp')
And here's a minimal environment:
$ mkdir environments $ cat > environments/dev/environment.cfg [environment] connect_method = local [hosts] localhost = myapp
To deploy this, you run:
$ ./batou deploy dev
Check the detailed documentation to get going with a more ambitious project.
- Separate your application model from environments
- Supports idempotent operation for incremental deployments
- Deploy to multiple hosts simultaneously
- Automated dependency resolution for multi-host scenarios
- No runtime requirements on your application
- Encrypted secrets with multiple access levels: store your SSL certificates, SSH keys, service secrets and more to get true 1-button deployments.
- Deploy to local machines, Vagrant, or any SSH host
- Broad SSH feature support by using OpenSSH through execnet
- Only few dependencies required on the remote host
- Ships with a library of components for regularly needed tasks
- self-bootstrapping and self-updating - no additional scripting needed
The project is licensed under the 2-clause BSD license.
- Make sure
subversionare installed and in
python27also needs to be installed and in
./develop.shto create a local virtualenv with everything set up.
- Run the test suite using:
- Build the documentation using:
cd doc; make
- Set up GPG for the examples with
export GNUPGHOME=<DIRECTORY OF BATOU HERE>/src/batou/secrets/tests/fixture/gnupg
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
batou-2.3.1.tar.gz (176.1 kB view hashes)