A bitcoin cryptography library.
btclib: a python3 library for 'bitcoin cryptography'
btclib is a python3 type annotated library intended for teaching/learning/using bitcoin, its blockchain, and the associated elliptic curve cryptography.
It does not have external requirements or dependencies; to install (and upgrade) it:
python -m pip install --upgrade btclib
Originally developed for the Bitcoin and Blockchain Technology course at the University of Milano-Bicocca, the library is not intended for production environments: it is often refactored for improved clarity, without care for backward compatibility; moreover, some of its algorithms could be broken using side-channel attacks.
The library includes:
- modulo algebra functions (gcd, inverse, legendre symbol, square root)
- octets / integer / varint / point conversion functions
- elliptic curve class
- fast algebra implemented using Jacobian coordinates
- double scalar multiplication (Straus's algorithm, also known as Shamir's trick)
- multi scalar multiplication (Bos-coster's algorithm)
- point simmetry solution: odd/even, low/high, and quadratic residue
- available curves: SEC 1 v1 and v2, NIST, Brainpool, and low cardinality test curves
- DSA signature with (transaction) DER encoding
- DSA signature with (message) compact encoding: standard p2pkh and BIP137/Electrum extensions to p2wpkh and p2wpkh-p2sh
- Schnorr signature (according to
- batch validation
- threshold signature (see test-suite)
- MuSig multi-signature (see test-suite)
- Borromean ring signature
- RFC 6979 to make signature schemes deterministic
- Sign-to-contract commitment
- Pedersen committment
- Base58 encoding/decoding
- p2pkh/p2sh addresses and WIFs
- Bech32 encoding/decoding
- p2wpkh/p2wsh native SegWit addresses and their legacy p2sh-wrapped versions
- BIP32 hierarchical deterministic wallets
- BIP39 wordlists and mnemonic for generating deterministic keys
- Electrum standard for mnemonic
- Script encoding/decoding
- nulldata, p2pk, p2pkh, multi-sig, p2sh, p2wpkh, and p2wsh ScriptPubKeys
A very extensive test suite reproduces results from major official sources and covers 100% of the library code base.
The library is actively supported by the Digital Gold Institute
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size btclib-2020.3.20-py3-none-any.whl (86.4 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size btclib-2020.3.20.tar.gz (74.5 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for btclib-2020.3.20-py3-none-any.whl