Cloud Custodian - Automated Policy Documentation
Automated Cloud Custodian Policy Documentation
What is c7n-autodoc?
Automated Cloud Custodian policy documentation for your business partners.
Why use c7n-autodoc?
Administrators of cloud platforms need provide their business partners with clear and accurate documentation regarding the security, governance and cost control policies. The easiest way to stay on top of your documentation is to automate it. This utility will create an HTML file with easy to read information regarding your existing Cloud Custodian policies.
- Automatically writes to S3 bucket
- Groups policies by resource type
- Groups policies by category (i.e 'Security & Governance' vs 'Cost Controls')
- Provide links to underlying file in GitLab/GitHub
- Uses policy tags to determine applicable environments
- You have added any necessary security controls to the destination S3 bucket
- Local credentials exist for the boto3 module to push the file to S3
NOTE: Requires python3
pip3 install pyyaml boto3 jinja2 jsonschema
The only item you should need to customize is the configuration YAML file which is required by the script. Look at the example file provided to determine which fields are required and which are optional. You can also customize the jinja2 template to further modify the HTML documentation which is created.
The S3 bucket which will house the HTML file needs to have
Static website hosting enabled. The
default (index.html, error.html) are fine because you will be directly targeting the c7n-autodoc.html
For the best results this script should be run as a part of a CI/CD pipeline.
python3 c7n-autodoc.py -c my_config_file.yml
Assuming there aren't any issues you should see the HTML file in the S3 bucket.
- Account for different policies for proper rendering
- Improved UI layout
- Easier user setup
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size c7n_autodoc-0.3.tar.gz (2.5 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|