A complete implementation of the CF data model
The cfdm Python package is a complete implementation of the CF data model, that identifies the fundamental elements of the CF conventions and shows how they relate to each other, independently of the netCDF encoding.
The central element defined by the CF data model is the field construct, which corresponds to a CF-netCDF data variable with all of its metadata.
The cfdm package can
- read field constructs from netCDF datasets,
- create new field constructs in memory,
- inspect field constructs,
- test whether two field constructs are the same,
- modify field construct metadata and data,
- create subspaces of field constructs,
- write field constructs to netCDF datasets on disk,
- incorporate, and create, metadata stored in external files, and
- read, write, and create data that have been compressed by convention (i.e. ragged or gathered arrays), whilst presenting a view of the data in its uncompressed form.
Command line utility
During installation the cfdump command line tool is also installed, which generates text descriptions of the field constructs contained in a netCDF dataset.
This project is hosted on a GitHub repository where you may access the most up-to-date source.