Universal encoding detector for Python 2 and 3
Chardet: The Universal Character Encoding Detector
- ASCII, UTF-8, UTF-16 (2 variants), UTF-32 (4 variants)
- Big5, GB2312, EUC-TW, HZ-GB-2312, ISO-2022-CN (Traditional and Simplified Chinese)
- EUC-JP, SHIFT_JIS, CP932, ISO-2022-JP (Japanese)
- EUC-KR, ISO-2022-KR (Korean)
- KOI8-R, MacCyrillic, IBM855, IBM866, ISO-8859-5, windows-1251 (Cyrillic)
- ISO-8859-5, windows-1251 (Bulgarian)
- ISO-8859-1, windows-1252 (Western European languages)
- ISO-8859-7, windows-1253 (Greek)
- ISO-8859-8, windows-1255 (Visual and Logical Hebrew)
- TIS-620 (Thai)
Our ISO-8859-2 and windows-1250 (Hungarian) probers have been temporarily disabled until we can retrain the models.
Requires Python 2.6, 2.7, or 3.3+.
Install from PyPI:
pip install chardet
For users, docs are now available at https://chardet.readthedocs.io/.
chardet comes with a command-line script which reports on the encodings of one or more files:
% chardetect somefile someotherfile somefile: windows-1252 with confidence 0.5 someotherfile: ascii with confidence 1.0
This is a continuation of Mark Pilgrim’s excellent chardet. Previously, two versions needed to be maintained: one that supported python 2.x and one that supported python 3.x. We’ve recently merged with Ian Cordasco’s charade fork, so now we have one coherent version that works for Python 2.6+.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|chardet-3.0.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl (133.4 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py2.py3|
|chardet-3.0.4.tar.gz (1.9 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None|