A tool to detect crontab errors
chkcrontab is a script to check crontab files like those in /etc/cron.d and /etc/crontab. It tries to catch glaring errors and warn on suspect lines in a crontab file. Some valid lines will generate warnings. Certain silly yet valid crontab lines will generate errors as well.
Run this by doing:
Errors will cause a non-zero exit code. Warnings alone will not.
To see sample output for a bad crontab, run the following:
See the ./tests/test_crontab.disable crontab for how to disable warnings and errors.
Contributions are welcome! Please add unit tests for new features or bug fixes. To run all the unit tests run ./setup test. If you have tox installed, just run tox.
You can review coverage of added tests by running coverage run setup.py test and then running coverage report -m.
Note that tests are run on Travis for all supported python versions whenever the tree on github is pushed to.
The code is available in the following locations:
- Bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/lyda/chkcrontab/src
- code.google: http://code.google.com/p/chkcrontab/
- Github: https://github.com/lyda/chkcrontab
- Gitorious: https://gitorious.org/uu/chkcrontab
Pull requests on any of those platforms or emailed patches are fine. Opening issues on github is easiest, but I’ll check any of them.
- Look for duplicate entries. Puppet sometimes loads up crontabs with dups.
- Check for backticks. (why?)
- Make sure MAILTO and PATH are set (perhaps others?).
- Add tests for command line.
- Kevin Lyda: Who got burned one too many times by broken crontabs.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size chkcrontab-1.5.tar.gz (23.0 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|