cmd2 - a tool for building interactive command line applications in Python
cmd2 is a tool for building interactive command line applications in Python. Its goal is to make it quick and easy for developers to build feature-rich and user-friendly interactive command line applications. It provides a simple API which is an extension of Python’s built-in cmd module. cmd2 provides a wealth of features on top of cmd to make your life easier and eliminates much of the boilerplate code which would be necessary when using cmd.
The latest documentation for cmd2 can be read online here: https://cmd2.readthedocs.io/
- Searchable command history (history command and <Ctrl>+r)
- Text file scripting of your application with load (@) and _relative_load (@@)
- Python scripting of your application with pyscript
- Run shell commands with !
- Pipe command output to shell commands with |
- Redirect command output to file with >, >>
- Bare >, >> with no filename send output to paste buffer (clipboard)
- py enters interactive Python console (opt-in ipy for IPython console)
- Multi-line commands
- Special-character command shortcuts (beyond cmd’s ? and !)
- Settable environment parameters
- Parsing commands with arguments using argparse, including support for sub-commands
- Unicode character support
- Good tab-completion of commands, sub-commands, file system paths, and shell commands
- Support for Python 3.4+ on Windows, macOS, and Linux
- Trivial to provide built-in help for all commands
- Built-in regression testing framework for your applications (transcript-based testing)
- Transcripts for use with built-in regression can be automatically generated from history -t
Usable without modification anywhere cmd is used; simply import cmd2.Cmd in place of cmd.Cmd.
Version 0.9.0+ of cmd2 supports Python 3.4+ only. If you wish to use cmd2 with Python 2.7, then please install version 0.8.x.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|cmd2-0.9.4-py3-none-any.whl (75.4 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py3||Aug 21, 2018|
|cmd2-0.9.4.tar.gz (423.7 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||Aug 21, 2018|