cmd2 - a tool for building interactive command line applications in Python
cmd2 is a tool for building interactive command line applications in Python. Its goal is to make it quick and easy for developers to build feature-rich and user-friendly interactive command line applications. It provides a simple API which is an extension of Python’s built-in cmd module. cmd2 provides a wealth of features on top of cmd to make your life easier and eliminates much of the boilerplate code which would be necessary when using cmd.
The latest documentation for cmd2 can be read online here: https://cmd2.readthedocs.io/
- Searchable command history (
- Text file scripting of your application with
- Python scripting of your application with pyscript
- Run shell commands with !
- Pipe command output to shell commands with
- Redirect command output to file with
>>; input from file with
>>with no filename send output to paste buffer (clipboard)
pyenters interactive Python console (opt-in
ipyfor IPython console)
- Multi-line, case-insensitive, and abbreviated commands
- Special-character command shortcuts (beyond cmd’s
- Settable environment parameters
- Parsing commands with flags
- Unicode character support (Python 3 only)
- Good tab-completion of commands, file system paths, and shell commands
- Python 2.7 and 3.3+ support
- Linux, macOS and Windows support
- Trivial to provide built-in help for all commands
- Built-in regression testing framework for your applications (transcript-based testing)
Usable without modification anywhere cmd is used; simply import cmd2.Cmd in place of cmd.Cmd.