Extension for colcon to gather test results.
LCOV is a graphical front-end for GCC’s coverage testing tool gcov, producing the following coverage metrics:
- Statement coverage
- Function coverage
- Branch coverage
Build your packages with coverage flags, using colcon:
$ colcon build \ --symlink-install \ --cmake-args \ -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS='-fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage' \ -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS='-fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage'
Create a baseline for zero coverage:
$ colcon lcov-result --initial
- This step is optional, but will help reveal any files that are untouched by tests
$ colcon test
Gather the lcov results:
$ colcon lcov-result Reading tracefile /home/user/workspace/my_cool_ws/lcov/total_coverage.info Summary coverage rate: lines......: 78.6% (44 of 56 lines) functions..: 94.4% (34 of 36 functions) branches...: 37.0% (34 of 92 branches)
Browse the coverage report by opening lcov/index.html in a browser
Zero the coverage counters and re-run tests:
$ colcon lcov-result --zero-counters $ colcon lcov-result --initial $ colcon test $ colcon lcov-result Reading tracefile /home/user/workspace/my_cool_ws/lcov/total_coverage.info Summary coverage rate: lines......: 78.6% (44 of 56 lines) functions..: 94.4% (34 of 36 functions) branches...: 37.0% (34 of 92 branches)
Tips and Tricks
- When running locally, use the --packages-select option to generate
coverage information for relevant packages
- This will also suppress warnings for packages that were either not built with coverage flags or for which tests did not run
- The --verbose flag can be used to print the coverage summary of each individual package as the results are analyzed
For non-trivial contributions, it is recommended to first create an issue to discuss your ideas.
The following is the recommended workflow for contributing:
Install colcon and extensions in a virtual environment:
$ cd <workspace> $ python3 -m venv colcon-env $ source colcon-env/bin/activate $ pip3 install colcon-common-extensions
Install colcon-lcov-result in editable mode:
$ cd <workspace> $ python3 -m venv colcon-env $ source colcon-env/bin/activate $ cd path/to/colcon-lcov-result $ pip3 install -e .
As long as you are in the virtual environment, make changes to colcon-lcov-result run colcon lcov-result, and see the effect of the changes
Commit changes and submit a PR:
The following warning when running colcon lcov-result --initial implies that the package was not built with the correct flags:
--- stderr: my_pkg geninfo: WARNING: no .gcno files found in /home/user/workspace/build/my_pkg - skipping! ---
- The package will not show up in the final results. Use --packages-skip to suppress the warning
The following warning when running colcon lcov-result implies that no tests ran for that package
[0.576s] ERROR:colcon.colcon_lcov_result.task.lcov:lcov: ERROR: no valid records found in tracefile /home/user/workspace/build/my_pkg/coverage.info --- stderr: my_pkg geninfo: WARNING: no .gcda files found in /home/user/workspace/build/my_pkg - skipping! ---
- The package will show up in the final results with 0% coverage. Use --packages-skip to suppress these packages from the total
- The final step of aggregating all the result files can be slow depending on the number of packages that were analyzed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for colcon_lcov_result-0.5.0-py3-none-any.whl