A content type inspired on the IPTC's News Industry Text Format specification.
Table of Contents
- Life, the Universe, and Everything
- Mostly Harmless
- Don’t Panic
- Share and Enjoy
News articles in Plone are instances of the ‘News Item’ content type: they can contain a title, a description, a body text, an image and some basic metadata. If you publish a couple of items from time to time, this is fine.
But suppose you have to publish dozens of items everyday… How do you tell your readers who they are about? What do they cover? Where do they took place? And, more important, how do you classify them? How do you organize them? How do you tell your readers which ones are newsworthy?
To solve these, and other issues, the IPTC developed XML standards to define the content and structure of news articles. NITF, NewsML and NewsCodes are among these standards and they support the classification, identification and description of a huge number of news articles characteristics.
NITF is intended to structure independent news articles and this package aims to implement a content type inspired by the specification.
To enable this product in a buildout-based installation:
Edit your buildout.cfg and add collective.nitf to the list of eggs to install:
[buildout] ... eggs = collective.nitf
After updating the configuration you need to run ‘’bin/buildout’‘, which will take care of updating your system.
Go to the ‘Site Setup’ page in a Plone site and click on the ‘Add-ons’ link.
Check the box next to collective.nitf and click the ‘Activate’ button.
This package includes a behavior called collective.nitf.behaviors.interfaces.ISection. By applying it to a Dexterity-based content type you will get a new field called section.
collective.nitf uses Cycle2 slideshow plugin for jQuery and it can load its resources from the Plone JS registry if they are present there.
If you’re using collective.nitf with other packages that use Cycle2 also (like sc.photogallery or covertile.cycle2), it is highly recommended that you register those resources to load them once and avoid conflicts.
You can use a jsregistry.xml file that includes the following:
We use Webpack to process static resources on this package. Webpack processes LESS and JS files, minifies the resulting CSS and JS, and optimizes all images. The final JS file is also a UMD package, which provides compatibility with most popular script loaders.
To contribute, you should start the instance in one shell and start Webpack watcher on another with the following command:
Then go to webpack/app folder and edit LESS and JS files; Webpack watcher will automatically create the final resources in the right place.
There are also other commands added to handle more complex scenarios. The following command will set the buildout node installation in the system PATH, this way you can use Webpack as described on Webpack docs.
The following command generates JS and CSS without the minify step (it can be used to check the code being generated in a human readable way).
The following command rebuilds static files and exit (insted of keep watching the changes):
You have to be aware of the following changes when migrating from version 1.x to 2.x:
- Package is no longer compatible with Plone 4.2
- Package no longer depends on Grok
- Package no longer depends on collective.z3cform.widgets; you should uninstall that dependency manually if there is no other package depending on it on your site
- Package no longer depends on plone.app.referenceablebehavior; the IReferenceable behavior included there is no longer assigned by default
- The character counter is no longer available
- We use Cycle2 instead of Galleria as the framework for the slideshow view; package now depends on collective.js.cycle2
- The following views are available for a News Article: view, slideshow_view and text_only_view
- View templates were completely refactored and support for semantic markup was added; the default view displays a bigger image
- The following behaviors are assigned by default to the News Article content type: plone.app.relationfield.behavior.IRelatedItems and collective.nitf.behaviors.interfaces.ISection
- A new permission collective.nitf: Setup is available to access the control panel configlet and is assigned by default to Manager and Site Administrator roles
- Static resources are now named nitf.css and nitf.js (easier to debug at the browser)
An upgrade step is available to remove old resources, rename the views, and reindex all News Articles to reflect changes. The upgrade step will not remove the plone.app.referenceablebehavior.referenceable.IReferenceable behavior if applied.
There’s a frood who really knows where his towel is.
- SearchableText index for News Article content type now includes object keywords (fixes brasil.gov.portal#155). [hvelarde]
- Do not create a link to None on the tile. [hvelarde]
- Fix upgrade process between versions 1.x and 2.x; check documentation on migration for more information (closes #198). [rodfersou, hvelarde]
- Handle corner case when upgrade step for 1008 found a collection with no query defined. [hvelarde]
- Simplify slideshow template to avoid depending on context id; this solves an issue when id ends with “.html”. [rodfersou]
- Refactor static resources. [rodfersou]
- Add classes to HTML elements on tile for easy visual customization. [agnogueira]
- Remove dependency on plone.directives.form and latest traces of Grok. [hvelarde]
- Fix exception getting image size with ImageScaling adapter (refs. sc.social.like #87). [rodfersou]
- Do not try to create scales on news article with no lead image; this was causing issues in some Collection view methods and in collective.cover’s Collection tile (fixes #178). [hvelarde]
- Fix issue in NITF tile that was causing an exception when dropping content into it (fixes #175). [rodfersou]
- The getImage() and imageCaption() methods of the NITF class are deprecated and will be removed on next release; use image() and media_caption() instead. [hvelarde]
- Fix issue with collective.nitf.image viewlet raising AttributeError when plone.app.contenttypes is installed (closes #169). [hvelarde]
- Use <p> tag to display the News Article subtitle to avoid warnings on validation. [hvelarde]
- Fix exception when syndicalize NITF (closes #161). [rodfersou]
- Fix tile date format. [hvelarde]
- Avoid rising exceptions when content referenced in tile is not available (fixes #154). [hvelarde, rodfersou]
- Remove hard dependency on plone.app.referenceablebehavior as Archetypes is no longer the default framework in Plone 5. Under Plone < 5.0 you should now explicitly add it to the eggs part of your buildout configuration to avoid issues while upgrading. [hvelarde]
- Show title of news article as alt attribute on tile’s image. [hvelarde]
- Fix upgrade step to work with both, Archetypes and Dexterity-based collections. [rodfersou]
Upgrades are supported only from release 1.0b3.
- Make control panel configlet accesible to Site Administrator role (closes #137). [hvelarde]
- Load Cycle2 resources from the JS registry if available (closes #133). [hvelarde]
- Fix display of byline and refactor override of documentbyline viewlet; avoid performance issues when having many users by memoizing expensive call to Membership tool (fixes #128). [hvelarde, rodfersou]
- Replace slideshow framework machinery; we use Cycle2 now instead of Galleria. Don’t forget do uninstall and remove collective.js.galleria if you no longer depend on it on your site (closes #116). [rodfersou, hvelarde]
- Fix default values for genre and urgency fields (closes #118). [rodfersou]
- Add NITF tile for collective.cover (closes #123). [hvelarde]
- Reimplement section field as a behavior (closes #98). [hvelarde]
- Drop support of Plone 4.2. [hvelarde]
- Remove dependency on collective.z3cform.widgets. Don’t forget do uninstall and remove the package if you no longer depend on it on your site. [hvelarde]
- Update package i18n and Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese translations. [hvelarde]
- Restore default binding on Link content type at uninstall time. [hvelarde]
- Add Current as default value for available_genres and General as default value for available_sections. [hvelarde]
- Character counter code was removed from package; this should be reimplemented using collective.js.charcount (closes #75). [hvelarde]
- Package was cleaned by removing some dependencies, deprecated methods on default view, unused macros from templates, and needless resources, scripts and styles. [marcosfromero, hvelarde]
- Add confirmation overlay before removing an image in media.pt (closes #85). [marcosfromero]
- Add required script library in media.pt to prevent image not loading when editing in overlay (closes #84). [marcosfromero]
- Fields were reordered to enhance user experience on adding/editing content: ‘location’ field is now above ‘body text’ and ‘urgency’ is below ‘genre’. [hvelarde]
- Reimplement keywords and documentbyline viewlets with semantic markup and support for news article byline for INITF interface. [jpgimenez, hvelarde, cleberjsantos]
- Refactor templates to implement semantic markup to annotate news-specific metadata using rNews, schema.org and RDFa (closes #47). [jpgimenez, marcosfromero, hvelarde]
- Add plone.app.relationfield as a dependency; this is needed for Dexterity to proper handle relations (closes #71). [jpgimenez]
- Remove five.grok dependency, will easy the mainteinance and the extendibility of the package. [jpgimenez]
- Changes image link behavior in view.pt for mobile devices (closes #62). [marcosfromero]
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size collective.nitf-2.1b4.tar.gz (275.9 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|