Transcoding support for Plone video files, using collective.transcode.daemon
collective.transcode.* or transcode.star for short, is a suite of modules that provide transcoding services to Plone sites.
Both the naming scheme and the basic design priciples were inspired by collective.blog.star. Namely:
- Be modular. Not everyone wants everything your software has to offer.
- Be flexible. Don’t assume that people want to use your software in one way.
- Be simplistic. If there is a simple way of doing it, do it that way.
- Be Ploneish. Plone already has 90% of what we need built in. Use it.
It works out of the box with standard Plone Files, providing transcoding services to web friendly formats (mp4, ogv) when uploading video content. Additionally, a jpeg thumbnail is being extracted from the 5th second of the videos and a flowplayer viewlet pointing to the produced mp4 file will be displayed inside the IAboveContentBody viewlet manager when transcoding is complete.
Transcode.star can be easily configured through the Plone Control Panel to work with any custom AT content type, as long as there is a File field in the schema. In the Transcode Settings panel you can enter a new line in the supported portal types, following the format customPortalType:fileFieldName where customPortalType the name of your portal_type and fileFieldName the name of the file field that you need transcoding for.
Support for Dexterity content types is planned for the coming versions.
For the transcoding to work you need to start the transcodedaemon instance provided in the buildout.
If your transcoding needs are high, you can configure several transcode daemons in a load balanced setup. Transcode.star will select the daemon with the minimum transcoding queue length.
All communication between transcode.star and transcode.daemon is encrypted using symmetric encryption by the pycrypto module so that the transcode server(s) transcode videos sent by the Plone site only, preventing abuse by third parties. Also extra care has been taken to transcode videos in private state (typical senario for a Plone site, when users upload a file) by using the same secure channel.
Apart from what is assembled by the buildout, the following dependencies must be installed manually for the transcoding scripts to work:
- ffmpeg with x264 support
In Ubuntu 10.04 you can install the above using the following commands:
sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list \ http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet \ --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring sudo apt-get --quiet update sudo aptitude install build-essential libavcodec-unstripped-52 ffmpeg \ ffmpeg2theora
python2.6 bootstrap.py ./bin/buildout
Start the transcode daemon:
./bin/transcodedaemon start # or fg to start it in the foreground
Start the worker instance:
Add a new Plone site, go to the Install Products Form and install transcode.star A new control panel screen called “Transcode Settings” will be available. You can use it to configure the supported profiles, the supported mime_types and the portal_types and respective fields that you need transcoding for. If you have changed the secret key in your buildout make sure you enter the new key here as well.
Then simply add a new object (File by default) and upload a file with a mimetype in the supported mimetypes. If you are running transcodedaemon and zope in the foreground you will be able to see the transcoding process taking place. When the transcoding is complete, refresh your content type’s view page and you should see a flowplayer instance above your content loaded with the mp4 version of your video.
For production deployments make sure you change the secret key in buildout.cfg and in the Transcode Settings Panel.
Also, when using in production make sure that the transcoded files are served directly by Apache instead of Twisted.
- Created by unweb.me - https://unweb.me
- Development partially sponsored by EngageMedia - http://engagemedia.org
- Dimitris Moraitis, unweb.me
- Christos Psaltis, unweb.me
- Markos Gogoulos, unweb.me
- Mike Muzurakis, unweb.me
- Anna Helme, sagaponic.net
- Giacomo Spettoli, redomino.com
- Rok Garbas, garbas.si
- fix permission issue for site managers [mgogoulos]
- hide manage footer on embed view [mgogoulos]
- remove stats from embedded videos [clopy]
- update transcodedaemon and scripts [dimo]
- update unisubs widget files [mgogoulos, dimo]
- add download links & share button [dimo]
- support variable dimensions on embed [dimo]
- fix embed styling [clopy]
- use local js files for universal subtitles widget [dimo, mgogoulos]
- add support for universal subtitles [dimo, clopy, mgogoulos]
- fix unauthorized access when transcoding private videos [clopy]
- delete transcoded videos when deleting a video [mgogoulos]
- fix plone.app.async on utility and remove deprecated patch [mgogoulos]
- init mediaelementjs player in an iOS friendly way [dimo]
- transcode jobs executed asynchronously if plone.app.async is available [dimo, mgogoulos]
- update to Plone 4.2 [dimo]
- drop support for Plone 3.x [dimo]
- move embed favicon code to embed.pt [clopy]
- open unisubs share link in new tab [clopy]
- Fix subtitle selection on embedded videos [clopy]
- Add ‘view on original site logo’ for embeded videos [mgogoulos]
- add video/x-matroska to supported mimetypes [dimo]
- improve embed view display & fix embed dimensions [dimo]
- warn when skipping transcoding due to unsupported mimetype [dimo]
- embed view should use the dimensions of the parent iframe [dimo]
- look for thumbnail in content type first [dimo]
- preload video metadata, fixes universal subtitles widget display issue [dimo]
- improve embed view styling [dimo]
- bug fix in controlpanel’s interface [giacomos]
- moved repo to github [garbas]
- use html5/mediaelementjs for video playback, drop flowplayer [dimo, clopy, cpsaltis]
- update buildout, transcoding scripts, add ffmpeg [cpsaltis, dimo]
- enable switching to hi/low quality [dimo, clopy]
- provide embed code [dimo, clopy]
- track transcoding progress [dimo]
- support opensubtitles [dimo, clopy]
- update bootstrap.py [dimo]
- pin plone.app.registry to 1.0b2 in Plone 3 buildout - thanks to Daniel Marks for reporting [dimo]
- add option to specify transcode profiles when adding jobs to transcode tool
- remove of unused html5 options
- Remove PasteScript dependency from setup.py which was causing problems in dependent packages [dimo]
- use transcode daemon 0.7
- use transcode daemon 0.6, prevents possible pycrypto version conflict [dimo]
- delete transcoded video files when the respective content objects are deleted from the portal [clopy, dimo]
- prevent deletion of TranscodeTool on reinstallation in Plone 3.x [clopy]
- collective.transcode.burnstation support [clopy, dimo, cpsaltis, provetza]
- use transcode.daemon 0.4 and simplify the buildout [dimo]
- workaround for plone.app.blob issue with unicode filenames [dimo]
- fix forced retranscoding for pending requests [dimo]
- First public release [dimo]
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size collective.transcode.star-0.21.zip (125.1 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for collective.transcode.star-0.21.zip