The Databricks adapter plugin for dbt
dbt enables data analysts and engineers to transform their data using the same practices that software engineers use to build applications.
The Databricks Lakehouse provides one simple platform to unify all your data, analytics and AI workloads.
dbt-databricks adapter contains all of the code enabling dbt to work with Databricks. This adapter is based off the amazing work done in dbt-spark. Some key features include:
- Easy setup. No need to install an ODBC driver as the adapter uses pure Python APIs.
- Open by default. For example, it uses the the open and performant Delta table format by default. This has many benefits, including letting you use
MERGEas the the default incremental materialization strategy.
- Support for Unity Catalog. dbt-databricks>=1.1.1 supports the 3-level namespace of Unity Catalog (catalog / schema / relations) so you can organize and secure your data the way you like.
- Performance. The adapter generates SQL expressions that are automatically accelerated by the native, vectorized Photon execution engine.
Choosing between dbt-databricks and dbt-spark
If you are developing a dbt project on Databricks, we recommend using
dbt-databricks for the reasons noted above.
dbt-spark is an actively developed adapter which works with Databricks as well as Apache Spark anywhere it is hosted e.g. on AWS EMR.
Install using pip:
pip install dbt-databricks
Upgrade to the latest version
pip install --upgrade dbt-databricks
your_profile_name: target: dev outputs: dev: type: databricks catalog: [optional catalog name, if you are using Unity Catalog, only available in dbt-databricks>=1.1.1] schema: [database/schema name] host: [your.databrickshost.com] http_path: [/sql/your/http/path] token: [dapiXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]
These following quick starts will get you up and running with the
- Developing your first dbt project
- Using dbt Cloud with Databricks (Azure | AWS)
- Running dbt production jobs on Databricks Workflows
- Using Unity Catalog with dbt-databricks
- Using GitHub Actions for dbt CI/CD on Databricks
- Loading data from S3 into Delta using the databricks_copy_into macro
- Contribute to this repository
dbt-databricks adapter has been tested:
- with Python 3.7 or above.
Databricks runtime releases 9.1 LTSand later.
Tips and Tricks
Choosing compute for a Python model
You can override the compute used for a specific Python model by setting the
http_path property in model configuration. This can be useful if, for example, you want to run a Python model on an All Purpose cluster, while running SQL models on a SQL Warehouse. Note that this capability is only available for Python models.
def model(dbt, session): dbt.config( http_path="sql/protocolv1/..." )
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for dbt_databricks-1.6.4-py3-none-any.whl