Repackaging of Google's Diff Match and Patch libraries. Offers robust algorithms to perform the operations required for synchronizing plain text.
Google's Diff Match and Patch library, packaged for modern Python.
diff-match-patch is supported on Python 2.7 or Python 3.4 or newer. You can install it from PyPI:
python -m pip install diff-match-patch
Generating a patchset (analogous to unified diff) between two texts:
from diff_match_patch import diff_match_patch dmp = diff_match_patch() patches = dmp.patch_make(text1, text2) diff = dmp.patch_toText(patches)
Applying a patchset to a text can then be done with:
from diff_match_patch import diff_match_patch dmp = diff_match_patch() patches = dmp.patch_fromText(diff) new_text, _ = dmp.patch_apply(patches, text)
The Diff Match and Patch libraries offer robust algorithms to perform the operations required for synchronizing plain text.
- Compare two blocks of plain text and efficiently return a list of differences.
- Diff Demo
- Given a search string, find its best fuzzy match in a block of plain text. Weighted for both accuracy and location.
- Match Demo
- Apply a list of patches onto plain text. Use best-effort to apply patch even when the underlying text doesn't match.
- Patch Demo
- API - Common API across all languages.
- Line or Word Diffs - Less detailed diffs.
- Plain Text vs. Structured Content - How to deal with data like XML.
- Unidiff - The patch serialization format.
- Support - Newsgroup for developers.
Although each language port of Diff Match Patch uses the same API, there are some language-specific notes.
A standardized speed test tracks the relative performance of diffs in each language.
This library implements Myer's diff algorithm which is generally considered to be the best general-purpose diff. A layer of pre-diff speedups and post-diff cleanups surround the diff algorithm, improving both performance and output quality.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size diff_match_patch-20200713-py3-none-any.whl (61.6 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size diff-match-patch-20200713.tar.gz (60.7 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for diff_match_patch-20200713-py3-none-any.whl
Hashes for diff-match-patch-20200713.tar.gz