An international phone number field for django models.
A Django library which interfaces with python-phonenumbers to validate, pretty print and convert phone numbers. python-phonenumbers is a port of Google’s libphonenumber library, which powers Android’s phone number handling.
- PhoneNumber, a pythonic wrapper around python-phonenumbers’ PhoneNumber class
- PhoneNumberField, a model field
- PhoneNumberField, a form field
- PhoneNumberField, a serializer field
- PhoneNumberPrefixWidget, a form widget for selecting a region code and entering a national number
- PhoneNumberInternationalFallbackWidget, a form widget that uses national numbers unless an international number is entered. A PHONENUMBER_DEFAULT_REGION setting needs to be added to your Django settings in order to know which national number format to recognize. The setting is a string containing an ISO-3166-1 two-letter country code.
- Note: This package will by default install phonenumberslite if no
- phonenumbers package has been installed already.
pip install django-phonenumber-field
First, add phonenumber_field to the list of the installed apps in your settings.py file:
INSTALLED_APPS = [ ... 'phonenumber_field', ... ]
Then, you can use it like any regular model field:
from phonenumber_field.modelfields import PhoneNumberField class MyModel(models.Model): name = models.CharField(max_length=255) phone_number = PhoneNumberField() fax_number = PhoneNumberField(blank=True)
Internally, PhoneNumberField is based upon CharField and by default represents the number as a string of an international phonenumber in the database (e.g '+41524204242').
Representation can be set by PHONENUMBER_DB_FORMAT variable in django settings module. This variable must be one of 'E164', 'INTERNATIONAL', 'NATIONAL' or 'RFC3966'. Recommended is one of the globally meaningful formats 'E164', 'INTERNATIONAL' or 'RFC3966'. 'NATIONAL' format require to set up PHONENUMBER_DEFAULT_REGION variable.
As with CharField’s, it is discouraged to use null=True.
The object returned is a PhoneNumber instance, not a string. If strings are used to initialize it, e.g. via MyModel(phone_number='+41524204242') or form handling, it has to be a phone number with country code.