Opinionated version of `startproject` with some popular third-party packages. Starter pack includes: whitenoise, django-environ, logging, GitHub Scripts to Rule Them All, basic Dockerfile and Makefile.
Opinionated version of
django-admin startproject that intends to go further and do things that startproject can't do but most people will do anyway. Here's what you get:
- ⚛️ Whitenoise: usually you don't need that during local development but one day you're going to deploy your project and find out that it ignores the
static/folder when running under gunicorn — which is sorta fine because big applications usually serve static files separately via nginx. Smaller apps with small number of assets, however, usually serve them within the same process, which is what whitenoise is for.
- 🔧 settings.py: it's slightly modified to also understand environment variables and
.envfiles. This functionality requires the
django-environpackage. Also, app logger is mostly pre-configured for you.
- 🔒 Support for marking PostgreSQL databases as read-only.
script/bootstrapand other scripts to rule them all so your fellow developers and maintainers don't ask you how to run this thing. Current versions of these scripts optimized for use with poetry, but you can easily adapt them for any Python package manager.
- 🏗️ Dockerfile and .dockerignore: one day your app will go to production, and we've got you covered.
- 🏛️ Gitlab CI config: CI is a good thing.
- ⚕️ Pre-configured linter so you can find some common problems automagically.
- 🏃 Pre-configured pytest because you are going to need unit tests one day.
- 🗃️ Auto-checks if you forgot to create migrations whenever you run tests or CI.
- *️⃣ .gitignore: well, you know why.
- *nix system;
django-admininstalled and available from
Generated files will work fine in Django >= 2.0, not tested in earlier versions.
How to use
- Install the package:
pip install django-spinproject
(for requests, create an issue or drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Some CLI flags to switch off the things you don't need.
See the Releases page.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for django_spinproject-1.5.0-py3-none-any.whl