Django SSL Client Authentication
SSL authentication backend and middleware for Django for authenticating users with SSL client certificates
MIT license, see LICENSE.txt for full text.
Set up nginx and create SSL certificates for your server and set up the paths to server private key, server certificate and CA certificate used to sign the client certificates. Example configuration file is in samples/nginx.conf
If you are on OS X, I suggest OS X KeyChain access for doing this for testing, as it will automatically make your client certificates available in all both Google chrome & Safari. Instructions can be found e.g. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-become-a-certificate-authority-using-lion-s.html
On other platforms, there are many tutorials on how to do this with OpenSSL e.g. http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~zmiller/ca-howto/
Restart your ngninx (sudo nginx -s restart), make sure your green unicorn is running and check that your https:// url loads your application and the server certificate is valid.
- run setup.py (sudo python setup.py install) or install the latest release using pip install django_ssl_auth
- edit your settings.py
- add "django_ssl_auth.SSLClientAuthMiddleware" to your MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES
- add "django_ssl_auth.SSLClientAuthBackend" to your AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS
There are two things you need to do in settings.py
- Define a function that can return a dictionary with fields that are required by your user model, e.g. USER_DATA_FN = 'django_ssl_auth.fineid.user_dict_from_dn is a sample implementation that takes the required fields from the DN of a Finnish government issued ID smart card for the contrib.auth.models.User.
- To automatically create User``s for all valid certificate holders, set ``AUTOCREATE_VALID_SSL_USERS = True. Auto-created users will be set to inactive by default, consider using the User.is_active field in your LOGIN_REDIRECT_URL view to notifying the user of their status.
For details, see testapp/ssltest/settings.py
Smart Card support
For (Finnish) instructions see doc/fineid/FINEID.md
- Active directory integration.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|django-ssl-auth-2.0.1.tar.gz (5.8 kB) View hashes||Source||None|