Tree queries with explicit opt-in, without configurability
Query Django model trees using adjacency lists and recursive common table expressions. Supports PostgreSQL, sqlite3 (3.8.3 or higher) and MariaDB (10.2.2 or higher), maybe also MySQL 8.0 but I found no easy way to test against it.
Supports Django 1.8, 1.11 or better, Python 2.7 and 3.4 or better. See the Travis CI build for more details.
Features and limitations
- Supports only integer primary keys.
- Allows specifying ordering among siblings.
- Uses the correct definition of depth, where root nodes have a depth of zero.
- The parent foreign key must be named "parent" at the moment (but why would you want to name it differently?)
- The fields added by the common table expression always are tree_depth, tree_path and tree_ordering. The names cannot be changed. tree_depth is an integer, tree_path an array of primary keys and tree_ordering an array of values used for ordering nodes within their siblings.
- Besides adding the fields mentioned above the package only adds queryset methods for filtering ancestors and descendants. Other features may be useful, but will not be added to the package just because it’s possible to do so.
- Little code, and relatively simple when compared to other tree management solutions for Django. No redundant values so the only way to end up with corrupt data is by introducing a loop in the tree structure (making it a graph). The TreeNode abstract model class has some protection against this.
- Install django-tree-queries using pip.
- Extend tree_queries.models.TreeNode or build your own queryset and/or manager using tree_queries.query.TreeQuerySet. The TreeNode abstract model already contains a parent foreign key for your convenience and also uses model validation to protect against loops.
- Call the with_tree_fields() queryset method if you require the additional fields respectively the CTE.
- Until documentation is more complete I’ll have to refer you to the test suite for additional instructions and usage examples.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size django_tree_queries-0.3.3-py2.py3-none-any.whl (11.1 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size django-tree-queries-0.3.3.tar.gz (8.0 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for django_tree_queries-0.3.3-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Hashes for django-tree-queries-0.3.3.tar.gz