Decision Optimization utilities for IBM Watson Studio projects
Decision Optimization utilities for IBM Watson Studio Local and ICPd projects.
This repository contains the package
dse_do_utils. This can be installed using pip.
- ScenarioManager. Reads and writes table data from and to all combinations of csv-files, Excel spreadhseet and DO scenario.
- DataManager. A DataManager is mostly a container for data and functions for pre- and post-processing. Can be subclassed and stored in a script to be able to share code between multiple notebooks. Also contains some utilities for data manipulation, like the crossjoin.
- OptimizationEngine. Also mostly a container for functions around creating an optimization model and using the docplex APIs. Can be subclassed and stored in a script to be able to share code between multiple notebooks. Also contains some functions to create dvars and export .lp files.
- ScenarioPicker. Interactively pick an existing scenario from a drop-down menu in a notebook. Typically used in visualization notebooks.
- MapManager. For creating map visualizations using Folium.
- DOModelExporter. To export DO Models in CPDv2.5.
(For Cloud Pak for Data v2.5)
CPDv2.5 is very different from the previous versions and it has a significant impact on how the dse-do-utils can be installed and used.
- Install using pip in a customized environment. This applies to both Jupyter and JupyterLab.
- Install as a package in JupyterLab.
- Install as modules in Jupyter
- Install/use as modules in the DO Model Builder
Install in customized environment
CPDv2.5 allows for easy customization of environments. Add the following to the customization configuration:
- pip: - dse-do-utils=0.3.0.0
This automatically downloads dse-do-utils from PyPI and installs the package.
For air-gapped systems that have no access to PyPI:
- Download the package from PyPI/Conda from an internet connected system as a wheel/zip file
- Upload the wheel/zip as a data asset
- Install package from wheel/zip
This downloads the package as a wheel/zip and puts it in the data assets
!pip download dse-do-utils -d /project_data/data_asset/
Then move the wheel/zip to the Data Assets.
InstallationReadMe.md for more details on installation and usage in other cases.
Then import the required classes from
from dse_do_utils import ScenarioManager, DataManager
This is the basics. For many ore details on other usage, see
To be used within:
- CPDv2.1 (version 0.2.2.3 is preferred. But version 0.3.0.0 should be backwards compatible.)
- CPDv2.5 (version 0.3.0.0 and up)
- WSLv1.2.3 with Python 2.7 (version 0.2.2.3 only)
- WS Cloud (version 0.4.0.0 and up)
DO Model Builder and WML environments
When developing and using optimization models, there are 3 different environments the Python DO model might run in:
- A notebook environment.
- The DO Model Builder environment.
- The WML deployment environment.
- Only the notebook environment can be regularly customized with the dse-do-utils.
- The Model Builder environment cannot be customized. But, it has a feature to add 'files'. The dse-do-utils internal modules have been refactored to be able to be uploaded separately as individual modules.
- The WML environment cannot be customized. But the same work-around for adding modules/files to the MB model can be used.
- The WML environment can be customized using APIs.
In future releases of CPD:
- The DO Model Builder will also allow for environment customization
Scope of classes/modules
DataManager are intended to be used within the optimization model code
that will run in the Model Builder and WML deployment. All other classes, in particular the
designed to be used outside of the Model Builder or WML, e.g. within
Therefore, the limitations in customizing environments can, for the moment, be avoided by not using
This package requires:
- dd-scenario. This package provides an interface to the DO scenarios. This package is only available within WSL and ICPd. It cannot be pip installed in other environments.
- docplex. This package interfaces with the CPLEX and CP Optimizer optimization engines.
- folium. Map visualization. Only for the MapManager.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size dse_do_utils-0.4.0.1-py3-none-any.whl (50.2 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size dse_do_utils-0.4.0.1.tar.gz (39.5 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for dse_do_utils-0.4.0.1-py3-none-any.whl