Python tools supporting UEFI EDK2 firmware development
Tianocore Edk2 PyTool Extensions (edk2toolext)
This is a Tianocore maintained project consisting of command line and other python tools and extensions for building and maintaining an Edk2 based UEFI firmware code tree. Part of these tools include "invocables" that can be used to build EDK2 Platforms and these tools are known as "stuart". This package's intent is to provide tools, scripts, and a plugin based environment for use within the tools and scripts. This environment has command line interfaces to support building a product, building CI, running tests, and downloading dependencies. This environment also provides the building blocks for developers to write their own tools to launch in the environment and leverage the capabilities provided by the environment. The unique capabilities provided help support building products with multiple repositories and having each repository contribute/plugin to the build process in a scalable way. The environment will scan the files in the code tree (multiple repos) and discover plugins, dependencies, path adjustments, environment variable settings, etc. This provides easy methods for common repositories to share build tools/steps.
Inclusion of this package is best managed using Pip/Pypi. This package makes use of edk2-pytool-library.
This is a supplemental package and is not required to be used for edk2 builds.
|Host Type||Toolchain||Branch||Build Status||Test Status||Code Coverage|
|Windows Server 2019||Python 3.10.x||master|
|Linux Ubuntu 1804||Python 3.10.x||master|
The package contains cli tools and a basic common environment for running tools. This common environment supports extensions, sub-classing, and plugin to allow great flexibility for building and maintaining a code tree.
- CI build support with plugin
- Binary dependency resolution (nuget, urls, git repos)
- Loggers (markdown, file, memory, and colored console)
- Plugins (pre/post build, function injection)
- Wrapper around edk2 build
- VarDict and ShellEnvrionment to manage key/value pairs consistently across entire process
- Nuget Publishing tool to push new packages
- Omnicache - Support a super cache of git repos to speed up creating and updating multiple work spaces and minimizing filesystem impact
All content in this repository is licensed under BSD-2-Clause Plus Patent License.
NOTE: It is strongly recommended that you use python virtual environments. Virtual environments avoid changing the global python workspace and causing conflicting dependencies. Virtual environments are lightweight and easy to use. Learn more
To install run
pip install --upgrade edk2-pytool-extensions
To use in your python code
from edk2toolext.<module> import <class>
This project and functionality was ported from Project Mu. For history and documentation prior to this see the original Project Mu projects https://github.com/microsoft/mu_pip_environment and https://github.com/microsoft/mu_pip_build
This project welcomes all types of contributions. For issues, bugs, and questions it is best to open a github issue.
For code contributions this project leverages github pull requests. See github tutorials, help, and documentation for complete descriptions. For best success please follow the below process.
- Contributor opens an issue describing problem or new desired functionality
- Contributor forks repository in github
- Contributor creates branch for work in their fork
- Contributor makes code changes, writes relevant unit tests, authors documentation and release notes as necessary.
- Contributor runs tests locally
- Contributor submits PR to master branch of tianocore/edk2-pytool-extensions
- PR reviewers will provide feedback on change. If any modifications are required, contributor will make changes and push updates.
- PR automation will run and validate tests pass
- If all comments resolved, maintainers approved, and tests pass the PR will be squash merged and closed by the maintainers.
See the github team for more details.
See the github repo docs folder
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for edk2-pytool-extensions-0.20.0.tar.gz
Hashes for edk2_pytool_extensions-0.20.0-py3-none-any.whl