EdX utilities for Django Application development.
EdX utilities for Django Application development.
Note that some utilities may warrant their own repository. A judgement call needs to be made as to whether code properly belongs here or not. Please review with the Architecture Team if you have any questions.
This repository includes shared utilities for:
The full documentation is in the docs directory.
TODO: Publish to https://edx-django-utils.readthedocs.org.
One Time Setup
# clone the repo git clone email@example.com:edx/edx-django-utils.git cd edx-django-utils # setup a virtualenv using virtualenvwrapper with the same name as the repo and activate it. # $(basename $(pwd)) will give you the name of the current working directory, in this case ``edx-django-utils`` mkvirtualenv -p python3 $(basename $(pwd))
Every time you develop something in this repo
# Activate the virtualenv. workon edx-django-utils # Grab the latest code. git checkout master git pull # Install the dev requirements make requirements # Run the tests make test # Make a new branch for your changes git checkout -b <your_github_username>/<short_description> # Using your favorite editor, edit the code to make your change. vim … # Run your new tests pytest ./path/to/new/tests # Run all the test make test # Commit all your changes git commit … git push # Open a PR and ask for review.
Design Pattern followed by packages
All tools in edx_django_utils should expose their public api in their __init__.py files. This entails adding to __init__.py all functions/classes/constants/objects that are intended to be used by users of library.
The code in this repository is licensed under the AGPL 3.0 unless otherwise noted.
Please see LICENSE.txt for details.
How To Contribute
Contributions are very welcome.
Please read How To Contribute for details.
Even though they were written with edx-platform in mind, the guidelines should be followed for Open edX code in general.
PR description template should be automatically applied if you are sending PR from github interface; otherwise you can find it it at PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.md
Issue report template should be automatically applied if you are sending it from github UI as well; otherwise you can find it at ISSUE_TEMPLATE.md
Reporting Security Issues
Please do not report security issues in public. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a question about this repository, or about Open edX in general? Please refer to this list of resources if you need any assistance.
[4.1.0] - 2021-06-01
- Added mixin for a custom Django admin class which disables CRUD operation on the admin’s model.
- Script new_relic_nrql_search.py to search the NRQL in New Relic alert policies and dashboards using a supplied regex.
[4.0.0] - 2021-05-03
- Removed the old location of CodeOwnerMonitoringMiddleware. It had moved in a past commit. Although technically a breaking change, all references in the Open edX platform have already been updated to point to the new location.
- Added new code_owner_theme and code_owner_squad custom attributes. This is useful in cases where the code_owner combines a theme and squad name, because monitoring can instead reference code_owner_squad to be resilient to theme name updates. For the decision doc, see edx_django_utils/monitoring/docs/decisions/0004-code-owner-theme-and-squad.rst.
- Misconfigurations of CODE_OWNER_MAPPINGS will now fail fast, rather than just logging. Although technically a breaking change, if CODE_OWNER_MAPPINGS is in use, it is probably correctly configured and this change should be a no-op.
[3.16.0] - 2021-03-24
- Added pluggable_override decorator.
[3.15.0] - 2021-03-02
- Added chunked_queryset utility.
[3.14.0] - 2020-12-15
- Dropped support for Python 3.5.
[3.13.0] - 2020-11-18
- Added record_exception to monitor caught exceptions.
- Added additional details to the deprecated_monitoring_utils custom attribute values to make it simpler to track down usage.
[3.12.0] - 2020-11-17
- Added set_code_owner_attribute decorator for use with celery tasks.
- Added set_code_owner_attribute_from_module as an alternative to the decorator.
- Cleaned up some of the code owner middleware code. In doing so, renamed custom attribute code_owner_path_module to code_owner_module. This may affect monitoring dashboards. Also slightly changed when error custom attributes are set.
[3.11.0] - 2020-10-31
- Added ADR 0004-public-api-and-app-organization.rst to explain a new app organization, which makes use of the public API more consistent.
- Applied the new app organization described in th ADR to the monitoring Django app.
- Moved CachedCustomMonitoringMiddleware, CodeOwnerMonitoringMiddleware, and MonitoringMemoryMiddleware to the public API.
- Deprecated the old locations of CachedCustomMonitoringMiddleware, CodeOwnerMonitoringMiddleware, and MonitoringMemoryMiddleware.
- Deprecated various methods from modules that were always meant to be used from the public API.
- Added additional custom attributes for deprecated classes and methods to make them safer to retire.
Some method implementations that were available in the public API were moved without adding a deprecated equivalent. These were not found when searching, so hopefully they are only used via the public API, which did not change. This includes functions in transactions.py and code_owner/utils.py.
- Removed the middleware ordering checks. This is not a typical Django feature and it is painful when refactoring.
[3.10.0] - 2020-10-28
- Added logging filter classes for users and remote IP addresses to be used by all IDAs. These were moved here from edx-platform.
[3.9.0] - 2020-10-21
- Exposed existing get_code_owner_from_module via the public api.
- Fixed get_code_owner_from_module to not require a call to is_code_owner_mappings_configured beforehand.
- Set the existing code_owner_path_module custom attribute, even for cases where the transaction name was used, rather than the view module.
- Refactor code owner setting processing.
[3.8.0] - 2020-08-31
- Renamed “custom metric” to “custom attribute” throughout the monitoring library. This decision can be read about in the ADR 0002-custom-monitoring-language.rst. The following have been deprecated:
- set_custom_metric (use set_custom_attribute)
- set_custom_metrics_for_course_key (use set_custom_attributes_for_course_key)
- MonitoringCustomMetricsMiddleware (use CachedCustomMonitoringMiddleware)
- CachedCustomMonitoringMiddleware.accumulate_metric (use CachedCustomMonitoringMiddleware.accumulate_attribute)
- This wasn’t meant to be used publicly, but was deprecated just in case.
- CodeOwnerMetricMiddleware (use CodeOwnerMonitoringMiddleware)
[3.7.4] - 2020-08-29
- Fix to custom monitoring accumulate to actually accumulate rather than overwrite.
[3.7.3] - 2020-08-12
- Upgrade psutil to latest version
[3.7.2] - 2020-08-10
- Added missing classes to plugins public api. See plugins.__init__.py for latest api.
- Updated plugin method names to be more descriptive. See plugins.__init__.py for latest.
Although these changes are backwards incompatible, they are being added as a bug fix because plugins code release (3.7.0) is not yet in use.
[3.7.1] - 2020-08-10
- Exposing all public functions in edx_django_utils/plugins directory in its __init__.py file.
- this was done to keep inline with standard/pattern used in other packages in edx_django_utils
[3.7.0] - 2020-08-10
- Adding Plugin infrastructure
- Allows IDAs to use plugins
[3.6.0] - 2020-08-04
- Improved documentation for CodeOwnerMetricMiddleware, including a how_tos/add_code_owner_custom_metric_to_an_ida.rst for adding it to a new IDA.
- Added ignore_transaction monitoring utility to ignore transactions we don’t want tracked.
- Moved transaction-related monitoring code into it’s own file. Still exposed through __init__.py so it’s a non-breaking change.
[3.5.0] - 2020-07-22
- Added a catch-all capability to CodeOwnerMetricMiddleware when CODE_OWNER_MAPPINGS includes a ‘*’ as a team’s module. The catch-all is used only if there is no other match.
[3.4.0] - 2020-07-20
- Added get_current_transaction for monitoring that returns a transaction object with a name property.
- Updated CodeOwnerMetricMiddleware to use NewRelic’s current transaction for cases where resolve() doesn’t work to determine the code_owner, like for Middleware.
[3.3.0] - 2020-07-16
- CodeOwnerMetricMiddleware was moved here (from edx-platform) in order to be able to take advantage of the code_owner metric in other IDAs. For details on this decision, see the ADR for monitoring code owner. See the docstring for more details on usage.
[3.2.3] - 2020-05-30
- Removed ceninusepy3 usage.
[3.2.2] - 2020-05-04
- Added support for python 3.8 and dropped support for Django versions older than 2.2
[3.2.1] - 2020-04-17
- imported get_cache_key in cache/__init__.py.
[3.2.0] - 2020-04-09
- Added get_cache_key utility.
[2.0.1] - 2019-10-09
- Fixed: Updated function tracing to accomodate changes in New Relic’s 5.x Agent.
[2.0.0] - 2019-07-07
- Converted Middleware (from old style MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES to MIDDLEWARE).
- Removed support for Django versions < 1.11
[1.0.1] - 2018-09-07
- Fixed: RequestCache now properly uses thread.local.
- Fixed: CachedResponse.__repr__ now handles unicode.
[1.0.0] - 2018-08-28
- Add data dict property to better match legacy RequestCache interface.
- Change is_hit/is_miss to is_found.
[0.5.1] - 2018-08-17
- Fixed bug in TieredCacheMiddleware dependency declaration.
[0.5.0] - 2018-08-16
- Restored Python 3 support.
- Refactor/clean-up, including Middleware dependency checking.
- Docs updates and other cookiecutter updates.
[0.4.1] - 2018-08-10
- Split out TieredCacheMiddleware from RequestCacheMiddleware.
[0.4.0] - 2018-08-10
- Rename CacheUtilsMiddleware to RequestCacheMiddleware.
[0.3.0] - 2018-08-02
- Temporarily dropped Python 3 support to land this.
[0.2.0] - 2018-08-01
- Added cache and monitoring utilities.
[0.1.0] - 2018-07-23
- First release on PyPI.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size edx_django_utils-4.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (68.1 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size edx-django-utils-4.1.0.tar.gz (61.8 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for edx_django_utils-4.1.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl