Library and utilities for feature toggles
Library and utilities for implementing and reporting on feature toggles.
See the scripts README for more information on the scripts for reporting on the status of feature toggles.
The code in this repository is licensed under the AGPL 3.0 unless otherwise noted.
Please see LICENSE.txt for details.
How To Contribute
Contributions are very welcome.
Please read How To Contribute for details.
Even though they were written with edx-platform in mind, the guidelines should be followed for Open edX code in general.
PR description template should be automatically applied if you are sending PR from github interface; otherwise you can find it it at PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.md
Issue report template should be automatically applied if you are sending it from github UI as well; otherwise you can find it at ISSUE_TEMPLATE.md
Reporting Security Issues
Please do not report security issues in public. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a question about this repository, or about Open edX in general? Please refer to this list of resources if you need any assistance.
[5.0.0] - 2022-04-22
- BREAKING CHANGE: Removed LegacyWaffle* classes. Although this is a breaking change, all known uses have already been fixed.
- Handle the case where certain toggle names come in as None when generating summary reports.
- Add ADR for updating annotations for toggle life expectancy and use cases.
[4.3.0] - 2022-01-31
- Removed Django22, 30, 31
- Added Django40 support in CI
[4.2.0] - 2021-07-07
- Added support for django3.0, 3.1 and 3.2
[4.1.0] - 2021-02-10
- Expose toggle state report via a Python API.
[4.0.0] - 2021-01-24
BREAKING CHANGE: Remove now unnecessary edx_toggles.toggles.__future__ module.
BREAKING CHANGE: Remove the following methods and properties: LegacyWaffleFlagNamespace.set_monitor_value, LegacyWaffleSwitch.switch_name, LegacyWaffleSwitch.namespaced_switch_name, LegacyWaffleFlag.flag_name, LegacyWaffleFlag.namespaced_flag_name, LegacyWaffleFlag.waffle_namespace.
BREAKING CHANGE: Remove LegacyWaffleFlagNamespace._set_monitor_value method
- Add the following custom attribute: “deprecated_legacy_waffle_class”
- Remove the following custom attributes: “deprecated_module_not_supplied”, “warn_flag_no_request_return_value”, “deprecated_waffle_method”, “deprecated_waffle_legacy_method”, “deprecated_compatible_legacy_waffle_class”.
Rename toggles.internal.legacy.Waffle* classes to toggles.internal.legacy.LegacyWaffle*.
[3.1.0] - 2021-01-18
- Dropped support for Python3.5.
- Fix toggle_type column value from the toggle state report for the SettingToggle and SettingDictToggle classes: the column is now set to “django_settings”.
[2.1.0] - 2021-01-12
- Stop monitoring waffle flag values via WaffleFlag.set_monitor_value calls. The deprecated method is preserved for backward compatibility.
[2.0.0] - 2020-11-05
BREAKING CHANGE: The WaffleFlagNamespace and WaffleSwitchNamespace classes have been removed. You can either rename to LegacyWaffleFlagNamespace and LegacyWaffleSwitchNamespace, which are deprecated, or you can move to the newer waffle classes that no longer use these Namespace classes (see below).
BREAKING CHANGE: The WaffleFlag and WaffleSwitch classes exposed in toggles no longer use the Namespace classes and are now the classes which were previously only available in toggles.__future__.
If you were importing from edx_toggles.toggles.__future__ before, then you simply need to import from edx_toggles.toggles. Importing from __future__ will continue to work but will trigger a deprecation warning.
If you were importing from edx_toggles.toggles, then you either need to:
- Migrate your legacy namespaced classes to the new-style classes (see the new behaviour below), or
- Import LegacyWaffleFlag instead of WaffleFlag and LegacyWaffleSwitch instead of WaffleSwitch. Note that these classes will be removed soon, so it’s preferable to migrate to the new classes already.
The new Waffle classes introduce the following changes:
- They no longer use Namespace classes like WaffleSwitchNamespace or WaffleFlagNamespace.
- The WaffleSwitchNamespace._namespaced_name and WaffleFlagNamespace._namespaced_name methods are replaced by the WaffleSwitch.name and WaffleFlag.name attributes.
- The WaffleSwitchNamespace.is_enabled method is replaced by the WaffleSwitch.is_enabled method.
- The WaffleSwitchNamespace.set_request_cache_with_short_name method has no replacement because an alternative solution should be found. You could (but really shouldn’t) use the WaffleSwitch._cached_switches property.
- The WaffleSwitch.switch_name attribute is deprecated: switches should only ever be referred to using their fully namespaced names.
- The WaffleSwitch.switch_name attribute no longer exists. Switches should only ever be referred to using their fully namespaced names. If you need the non-namespaced name, it must be parsed from the namespaced name.
- The WaffleFlagNamespace.is_flag_active method is replaced by WaffleFlag.is_enabled.
- The WaffleFlagNamespace._monitor_value method is replaced by WaffleFlag.set_monitor_value.
- The WaffleFlagNamespace._cached_flags attribute is replaced by the WaffleFlag.cached_flags method.
- The WaffleFlag and WaffleSwitch module_name constructor argument is now mandatory.
- The WaffleFlag.flag_name attribute is deprecated.
- The WaffleFlag.flag_name attribute no longer exists. Flags should only ever be referred to using their fully namespaced names. If you need the non-namespaced name, it must be parsed from the namespaced name.
- The WaffleFlag.waffle_namespace attribute no longer exists, since there is no longer a separate namespace object.
[1.2.2] - 2020-12-22
More improvements to monitoring of legacy waffle class imports.
- Add deprecated_incompatible_legacy_waffle_class custom attribute to any class (including subclasses), using the backward-incompatible imports that will be removed in 2.0.0.
- Add deprecated_compatible_legacy_waffle_class custom attribute to any class (including subclasses) using the legacy classes compatible with 2.0.0 imports, but which should be removed in 3.0.0 (or some future major version).
- Remove deprecated_edx_toggles_waffle custom attribute. In two cases, it was replaced by the new *_legacy_waffle_class custom attributes. In one case, it was replaced with the already existing and more appropriate deprecated_waffle_legacy_method custom attribute.
[1.2.1] - 2020-12-17
- Improve monitoring of legacy Waffle class imports. We should watch for “edx_toggles.toggles.internal.waffle.legacy.WaffleSwitch” custom attributes.
[1.2.0] - 2020-11-05
- Start the deprecation process of the waffle namespace classes:
- Introduce LegacyWaffleFlag, LegacyWaffleSwitch for use with namespaces.
- Begin deprecation/refactoring of namespacing code, including deprecation monitoring and warnings.
- Note: WaffleFlag and WaffleSwitch still use namespaces as well (for now).
- Introduce the toggles.__future__ module for applications that need to be forward-compatible right away.
[1.1.1] - 2020-10-27
- Fix cache-checking in WaffleSwitchNamespace
[1.1.0] - 2020-10-23
- Backport override_waffle_switch test utility function from edx-platform
[1.0.0] - 2020-10-13
[0.3.0] - 2020-09-23
First release to PyPI (2020-10-02)
- Implement SettingToggle and SettingDictToggle.
[0.2.2] - 2020-09-11
- Document the writing of feature toggles annotations.
[0.2.1] - 2020-08-03
Add ADR for the purpose of this repository.
Add ADR for implementing a Toggle State endpoint.
Add toggles report with CSV output using new CsvRenderer.
Add CourseWaffleFlag and course override data to toggle report.
Add output for waffle flag course overrides to data gatherer
Add additional options to scripts/feature_toggle_report_generator
- filter toggle types and envs, add github_url, and change name of ida in report
Modified scripts/feature_toggle_report_generator to work based on envs
Removed confluence integration
Moved HtmlRenderer to its own file
Add ADR for new SettingToggle. (see 0003-django-setting-toggles.rst)
[0.2.0] - 2020-05-27
- Removed caniusepython3.
[0.2.0] - 2020-05-05
- Added support for python 3.8 and dropped support Django versions older than 2.2
[0.1.0] - 2019-04-08
- Initial version
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for edx_toggles-5.0.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl