Open-source full 3D electromagnetic modeller for 1D VTI media
The electromagnetic modeller empymod can model electric or magnetic responses due to a three-dimensional electric or magnetic source in a layered-earth model with vertical transverse isotropic (VTI) resistivity, VTI electric permittivity, and VTI magnetic permeability, from very low frequencies (DC) to very high frequencies (GPR). The calculation is carried out in the wavenumber-frequency domain, and various Hankel- and Fourier-transform methods are included to transform the responses into the space-frequency and space-time domains.
For more information regarding installation, usage, contributing, roadmap, bug reports, and much more, see
Calculates the complete (diffusion and wave phenomena) 3D electromagnetic field in a layered-earth model including vertical transverse isotropic (VTI) resistivity, VTI electric permittivity, and VTI magnetic permeability, for electric and magnetic sources as well as electric and magnetic receivers.
- bipole: arbitrary oriented, finite length bipoles with given source strength; space-frequency and space-time domains.
- dipole: infinitesimal small dipoles oriented along the principal axes, normalized field; space-frequency and space-time domains.
- wavenumber: as dipole, but returns the wavenumber-frequency domain response.
- gpr: calculates the ground-penetrating radar response for given central frequency, using a Ricker wavelet (experimental).
- analytical: interface to the analytical, space-frequency and space-time domain solutions.
Hankel transforms (wavenumber-frequency to space-frequency transform):
- Digital Linear Filters DLF (using included filters or providing own ones)
- Quadrature with extrapolation QWE
- Adaptive quadrature QUAD
Fourier transforms (space-frequency to space-time transform): - Digital Linear Filters DLF (using included filters or providing own ones) - Quadrature with extrapolation QWE - Logarithmic Fast Fourier Transform FFTLog - Fast Fourier Transform FFT
Analytical, space-frequency and space-time domain solutions:
- Complete full-space (electric and magnetic sources and receivers); space-frequency domain
- Diffusive half-space (electric sources and receivers); space-frequency and
- Direct wave (= diffusive full-space solution)
- Reflected wave
- Airwave (semi-analytical in the case of step responses)
The add-ons for empymod provide some very specific, additional functionalities:
- tmtemod: Return up- and down-going TM/TE-mode contributions for x-directed electric sources and receivers, which are located in the same layer.
- fdesign: Design digital linear filters for the Hankel and Fourier transforms.
You can install empymod either via conda:
conda install -c prisae empymod
or via pip:
pip install empymod
Required are Python version 3.5 or higher and the modules NumPy and SciPy. Consult the installation notes in the manual for more information regarding installation and requirements.
If you publish results for which you used empymod, please give credit by citing Werthmüller (2017):
Werthmüller, D., 2017, An open-source full 3D electromagnetic modeler for 1D VTI media in Python: empymod: Geophysics, 82(6), WB9–WB19; DOI: 10.1190/geo2016-0626.1.
Copyright 2016-2019 Dieter Werthmüller
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0. See the LICENSE- and NOTICE-files or the documentation for more information.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|empymod-1.8.3-py3-none-any.whl (212.0 kB) View hashes||Wheel||py3|
|empymod-1.8.3.tar.gz (213.5 kB) View hashes||Source||None|