Indicators of environmental sustainability of energy systems using MuSIASEM and LCA methodologies
Environmental and bioeconomic system assessment for energy system optimization model (ESOM) scenarios. <Intro>
Table of Contents
What is enbios
ENBIOS (Environmental and Bioeconomic System Analysis) is an assessment framework designed for the assessment of the environmental impacts and resource use of energy pathways resulting from energy system optimization models (ESOMs).
It integrates Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and Social Metabolism Assessment using the Multi-Scale Integrated Assessment of Socio-Ecosystem Metabolism (MuSIASEM). It has been been co-designed with decision makers and energy modellers within the SENTINEL project (see acknowledgements).
The related python package
enbios takes data on energy system design and impact assessment methods to return a characterization matrix filled with bioeconomic and environmental indicators.
More information on the roots of the framework can be found in Deliverable 2.2
- Data on electricity production and power capacity structured by the
- LCA inventories in .spold format
- Impact assessment methods in excel or csv format
For each energy function and technology:
- Environmental impact indicators from the most used LCIA methods (Recipe2016, CML, AWARE, etc.)
- Metabolism indicators in rates of energy or materials per hour of human activity, power capacity and land use
- Environmental externalization rates
- Raw Material Recycling rates and Supply risk
- Integration of LCA and MuSIASEM evaluation methods
- Import of .spold LCA inventory data to a multi-level tree-like setting
- Library of impact assessment methods based on LCIA
- New impact assessment methods developed for raw materials and circularity
- Consideration of externalized environmental impacts
- Takes data from the friendly-data package (other formats under development)
- High level methods to quickly obtain/refresh analyses
The python package can be installed with the following two methods:
- Set a Python environment
- Install the package:
pip install enbios
Clone Github repository and execute "python setup.py install":
git clone https://github.com/ENVIRO-Module/enbios cd enviro git checkout develop python3 setup.py install
- Cristina Madrid-Lopez. - ICTA-UAB
- Nicholas Martin. - ICTA-UAB
- Rafael Nebot. - ITC-DCCT
- Laura Talens-Peiro. -ICTA-UAB
- For questions about the enbios framework, please contact email@example.com.
- For technical questions about the python package, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The development of ENBIOS is part of the work carried out by the SosteniPra Research group, at the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology of the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (ICTA-UAB) within work package 2 of the Horizon 2020 project Sustainable Energy Transitions Laboratory (SENTINEL, GA 837089).
The python package
enbios is built in collaboration with the Technical Institute of the Canary Islands (ITC) and based on the Nexus Information System developed within the Horizon 2020 project MAGIC-nexus and the LCA-MuSIASEM integration protocol developed in the Marie Curie project IANEX.
This work reflects the authors' view only; the funding agencies are not responsible for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Energy Transitions - Sustainability - Bioeconomy - Complex Adaptive Systems - Circular Economy - Energy Modelling -
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.