Force Atlas 2 graph layout
ForceAtlas2 is a continuous graph layout algorithm for handy network visualization.
This implementation is based on this paper.
Warning: Some features (especially Prevent Overlapping) are not completely implemented. I’m waiting for your pull-requests.
Example of social graph rendered with force atlas 2 layout:
Supports Python 3.3+
Install from pip:
pip install fa2l
To build and install run from source:
python setup.py install
import networkx as nx from fa2l import force_atlas2_layout import matplotlib.pyplot as plt G = nx.erdos_renyi_graph(100, 0.15, directed=False) positions = force_atlas2_layout(G, iterations=1000, pos_list=None, node_masses=None, outbound_attraction_distribution=False, lin_log_mode=False, prevent_overlapping=False, edge_weight_influence=1.0, jitter_tolerance=1.0, barnes_hut_optimize=True, barnes_hut_theta=0.5, scaling_ratio=2.0, strong_gravity_mode=False, multithread=False, gravity=1.0) nx.draw_networkx(G, positions, cmap=plt.get_cmap('jet'), node_size=50, with_labels=False) plt.show()
Force Atlas 2 features these settings:
- Approximate Repulsion: Barnes Hut optimization: n² complexity to n.ln(n).
- Gravity: Attracts nodes to the center. Prevents islands from drifting away.
- Dissuade Hubs: Distributes attraction along outbound edges. Hubs attract less and thus are pushed to the borders.
- LinLog mode: Switch ForceAtlas model from lin-lin to lin-log. Makes clusters more tight.
- Prevent Overlap. WARNING! Does not work very well.
- Tolerance: How much swinging you allow. Above 1 discouraged. Lower gives less speed and more precision.
- Edge Weight Influence: How much influence you give to the edges weight. 0 is “no influence” and 1 is “normal”.
You will find all the documentation in the source code
Copyright Eugene Bosiakov. Licensed under the GNU GPLv3.
This files are based on the java files included in Gephi (Copyright 2011 Gephi Consortium).
Also thanks to Max Shinn.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.