filevault: manage a hash directory tree and files
filevault is a class for managing a hash directory tree of files on a filesystem.
A Vault will:
- Create a hash directory tree of custom depth
- Spread out files to keep CLI snappy when traversing the tree
- Scale to hundreds of thousands of files
- Obfuscate directory paths and filenames
how to install
pip install filevault
how to use
How to create a default Vault object:
from filevault import Vault v = Vault()
You may (and should) customize the Vault instance. Here are the arguments:
- Where should the tree be created? Defaults to ‘vault’ in pwd.
- How deep should the tree span? Defaults to 3 directories deep.
- Add a custom salt for a unique and more secure tree, defaults to ‘changeme’
Another custom example:
from filevault import Vault v = Vault( vaultpath="/tmp/for-test", depth=2, salt="sugar" )
Now that we have a Vault object named v, we may review its two methods:
- create_filename( seed, ext=’’, absolute=False )
- Create a valid vault filename seeded with input. Optional extension. Relative path from vaultpath by default unless absolute is True.
- create_random_filename( ext=’’, absolute=False )
- Create a valid vault filename seeded with random input. Optional extension. Relative path from vaultpath by default unless absolute is True.
Here is a full example:
# import Vault class from filevault import Vault # create vault object named v, with custom path, depth, and salt v = Vault( vaultpath="/tmp/for-test", depth=2, salt="sugar" ) # print a valid vault filename with extension print v.create_filename( "my-first-file", ".png" ) # result: # 3/9/3993817d4f9b3867c6db29b23c9d2ff9bb8a87d89426002adbb6ed34289d9e32.png print v.create_filename( "my-first-file", ".png" ) # Same result: # 3/9/3993817d4f9b3867c6db29b23c9d2ff9bb8a87d89426002adbb6ed34289d9e32.png # print a valid vault absolute filename with extension print v.create_filename( "my-first-file", ".png", absolute=True ) # result: # /tmp/for-test/3/9/3993817d4f9b3867c6db29b23c9d2ff9bb8a87d89426002adbb6ed34289d9e32.png # print a random valid vault filename without extension v.create_random_filename() # result: # 6/1/6169d6ee0ac0bc63ab667fb94d9cc747df0c03596ac43e24a51b3517d74bdc42
how may I thank you?
Check out my webpage to screenshot service and give me some feedback, tips, or advice. Every little bit of help counts.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.