A shortcut for stubbing out your RESTful Flask APIs
A really simple app that allows you to write out your RESTful APIs spec in a logical form and automatically generate stub functions for each endpoint.
Install from Source
To install from source, you will need to first clone the repository from GitHub:
git clone https://github.com/Michael-F-Bryan/flask_api_builder.git
Then run the setup.py file:
python3 setup.py install
Or you can install directly from the Python Packaging Index:
pip install flask_api_builder
In order to generate your base API, you first need to write up a spec for it. The spec contains the definitions for each of your API’s end points, as well as some variables to customize the Blueprint each API endpoint is attached to.
Writing The Spec File
The spec file is designed to be quite intuitive to use. It is set out in a table-like format, with each column being aligned with spaces. Any line starting with a “#” is interpreted as a comment and ignored by the parser.
Defining variables is really easy, just add a line with variable-name: value. The variable names currently supported are:
- The name for your blueprint (defaults to “api”)
- The path that all endpoints attached to your API Blueprint are prepended with (nothing by default)
- Add pre-made 404 and 500 error handlers. They will be included unless something other than true, yes, 1, or y is entered (not case sensitive)
All variable names are not case sensitive.
API Endpoints are defined one per line, in a table-like format. Each line consists of 3 or 4 fields delimited by two or more whitespace characters. This means that you need to separate your columns by at least two spaces so the parser will read them correctly.
The fields correspond to an endpoint’s METHOD, URL, DESCRIPTION and (optionally) the NAME of the function generated. If no name is provided then one will be generated for you given the method and URL parameters (no guarantees that the generated name will be intelligible though).
Here is an example of a simple spec for a to-do list app:
blueprint-name: api #Method URL Description GET /tasks Retrieve list of tasks GET /tasks/<int:task_id> Retrieve task number <task_id> POST /tasks Create a new task
- Added error handlers to the generated code
Version 0.1.1 (2016-44-23)
- Added a commandline option to view an example spec
- Turned the module into a package and gave it a commandline entry point
- Wrote up a basic README
- Added an example spec file
Administration and Chores
- Added a makefile to automate the boring stuff
- Turned the module into a package with a main.py file
- Added the ability to create sdist’s and wheels properly
Version 0.1.0 (2016-05-22)
- Copied the main file from a jupyter notebook and set up the project
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size flask_api_builder-0.2.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (10.1 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size flask_api_builder-0.2.0.tar.gz (7.6 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for flask_api_builder-0.2.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl